Moving East coast to West coast

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dagny

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I have 2 wonderful buns who have their own bedroom in my home in MD. The house temp stays between 61 - 70 degrees, and they are protected from all elements, including scary sounds.
I might be moving to CA next year, and they will have to live outside. Has anyone had to do this to their buns? I am very worried about their well being. Any, all suggestions appreciated. Thank you!

I haven't personally had to do this but here are some tips (they may or may not be helpful)

- Make sure you buns are fully vaccinated and has had worming treatments, many diseases are caught outside and can be fatal, call your vet just to check if your buns have had all necessary vaccines and shots
-If your buns are going to transition, slowly give them more and more outdoor time so they can adjust with being outside more than usual
-Try to make sure you have the necessary items to protect your bun from predators like bears or other things (depending on where you are moving)
-Make sure your bun still has indoor 'play' time, that way you and your buns can still interact, choose a time that is suitable for you and your buns
-Try to place the hutch or enclosure in a shady area if possible, this can prevent the buns getting to hot
-Try to make sure if you are attaching a run or a pen that you have a roof over it so that eagles, birds or other predators can't access the buns
-Maybe even place a sheet over their enclosure to prevent them from seeing predators, as rabbits can sometimes even die of shock from just seeing the predator...
-Make sure the area your buns are going to be in a safe area, which includes shade (as mentioned before) and no unsafe or poisonous plants nearby that your bun can chew on (there is a very long list on this website if you'd like to check out- Pet Safe Plants. Plants generally considered nontoxic for pets)
-Try to place your buns area on a patio area (or at least not on grass) some rabbits enjoy digging and could potentially escape
-Make sure that when you move your bun has plenty of water, and try to replace it more often as flies and other insects can get inside their water dish, (if you don't use a water dish try to change over to one as it is easier for buns to drink from)
-Make sure that if your bun has access to grass that it has no pesticides or any treatments that can be harmful
-If your bunnies are going from being free roamed in your bedroom to being in an outdoor enclosure make sure it is big enough for them and that they have plenty of toys and enrichment to keep them busy
-I'm pretty sure that CA can get quite hot in the summer (especially because of global warming!) so make sure your buns are protected from the heat, there is a video below that could help :)
-And finally if you are planning to have play time with your buns outside (obviously supervised) and you have some nice gardening that you don't want ruined by them section that area off with an x-pen or something similar

Sorry this is so long, let me know of i can help any more!

101 rabbits-

I haven't personally had to do this but here are some tips (they may or may not be helpful)

- Make sure you buns are fully vaccinated and has had worming treatments, many diseases are caught outside and can be fatal, call your vet just to check if your buns have had all necessary vaccines and shots
Currently the US does not require vaccines for rabbits.

You have to move them outside during spring / summer time so they get get winter fur. If you are going to move in winter next year I would suggest to get them outdoor the summer beforehand even if you still live in your current house. Apart from that bunny’s do fine in and outside.
Good luck

Thank you so much for all your ideas. I really appreciate it!!! The property has an old horse stall that is clean and safe, and I was thinking I could make it a bunny habitat. Attached is a fenced in corral. I would need to shore up the fencing, and I think I can maybe put heat lamps in the stall and possibly a portable AC thing.. or maybe i can get a split pump?

You won’t need heat lamps they will be ok if you insulate the hutch a little until -20 degrees.

Best would be if you would bond your rabbit to a second rabbit so they can warm each other with body temperature too.

A horse stable sound really good , very spacious too.

That are my four bunny’s which life outside all year around.

Attachments

• 25247825-8FBA-4566-9A57-4B9D648C658B.jpeg
    25247825-8FBA-4566-9A57-4B9D648C658B.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 5
  • AC6F3E1A-6698-4E71-A51F-749CAE08EAEC.jpeg
    AC6F3E1A-6698-4E71-A51F-749CAE08EAEC.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 5
Thank you so much for all your ideas. I really appreciate it!!! The property has an old horse stall that is clean and safe, and I was thinking I could make it a bunny habitat. Attached is a fenced in corral. I would need to shore up the fencing, and I think I can maybe put heat lamps in the stall and possibly a portable AC thing.. or maybe i can get a split pump?
A heat lamp would be great! My rabbit lives in the garage and I use a heater. It depends on how cold it gets. Here is can get pretty cold but the walls break the wind and the heater helps. Depending on how hot it gets you might want to consider using a fan also.

@Abi :) had some very good ideas. However, one point I would disagree with, and a couple others should have a "depends on".. or "if" clause. [Not intending any offense, Abi. :)]

If your buns are going to transition, slowly give them more and more outdoor time so they can adjust with being outside more than usual It is less stressful on a rabbit to move once. Changing their routine to going out and in and outside again is just going to add unnecessary stress. When it is time to move them outside... better to just do it one time.

-Make sure your bun still has indoor 'play' time, that way you and your buns can still interact, choose a time that is suitable for you and your buns --only if the indoor and outdoor temps are within 10-15 degrees of each other. Switching them from one extreme to another is stressful as rabbits have a difficult time regulating their body temp.

-I'm pretty sure that CA can get quite hot in the summer (especially because of global warming!) so make sure your buns are protected from the heat, there is a video below that could help --depends on what part of California. Some areas are quite pleasant and never get too hot, other areas do indeed get hot. (and please... don't even get me started on the faulty science of 'global warming' o_O :rolleyes:;) )

I'm located in Montana and our bunnies used to live exclusively in our horse barn. In the summers, which can reach 85+ F. we always had a fan, chilled tiles, and frozen water bottles. The winters can reach -30 degrees F. (bunnies would be moved to the heated garage when it got below zero) and they had insulated, hay-filled boxes, were given warm water in heated bowls. Definitely do your research on the temperature season round and plan ahead. We never brought the bunnies into the house when they get acclimated to a very different outside temp, it can be pretty shocking! Good luck and have a safe move!

@Abi :) had some very good ideas. However, one point I would disagree with, and a couple others should have a "depends on".. or "if" clause. [Not intending any offense, Abi. :)]

If your buns are going to transition, slowly give them more and more outdoor time so they can adjust with being outside more than usual It is less stressful on a rabbit to move once. Changing their routine to going out and in and outside again is just going to add unnecessary stress. When it is time to move them outside... better to just do it one time.

-Make sure your bun still has indoor 'play' time, that way you and your buns can still interact, choose a time that is suitable for you and your buns --only if the indoor and outdoor temps are within 10-15 degrees of each other. Switching them from one extreme to another is stressful as rabbits have a difficult time regulating their body temp.

-I'm pretty sure that CA can get quite hot in the summer (especially because of global warming!) so make sure your buns are protected from the heat, there is a video below that could help --depends on what part of California. Some areas are quite pleasant and never get too hot, other areas do indeed get hot. (and please... don't even get me started on the faulty science of 'global warming' o_O :rolleyes:;) )

Constructive criticism is always appreciated! I have never had to transition a bun from inside to outside but I have seen people who had and I guess those tips clearly weren't as helpful as I thought they would be :) No harm intended <3

What part of California? -- huge climate differences in different parts of California.
Santa Barbara... it can get down to frost and go up to 90. My family has lived there since the 70's. I moved east, and am going back to help care for my parents. i had a lot of rabbits as a kid and they all lived outside. I am much more informed about them as an adult, so much more nervous about doing it right.

Santa Barbara... it can get down to frost and go up to 90. My family has lived there since the 70's. I moved east, and am going back to help care for my parents. i had a lot of rabbits as a kid and they all lived outside. I am much more informed about them as an adult, so much more nervous about doing it right.
I'm a little jealous, Santa Barbera in GORGEOUS. Best of luck to you and your buns!

Latest posts

Back