Moving cross country.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaoticness

Reaction score
Jeeze I hope this in the right spot.
I've posted this all over and googled as much as possible to gather as much information as possible so I can be prepared. I have plans to get an emergency kit together over the weekend that way it's one less thing on my list, however I am open to suggestions on what I must have in it so my rabbit can be as content as possible.
This is my emergency kit
  • Infant Gas Drops
  • Critical Care
  • Cisapride(recommended to get from vet)
  • Syringes(1cc/3cc/10cc)
  • Sherwood Appetite Restore(?)
  • Hay/Pellets
  • Green Veggies
  • Fan/heater

This move wasn't be choice either, our current living situation is extremely rough and causing me a lot of unnecessary stress so I am taking every step possible to get out before it boils over. This move is not until mid-April(or when my mandatory 8 weeks of job training is done). For anyone asking I am moving from Oregon back to my home state of Virginia. I've done this drive(but from Virginia to Oregon) with hamsters, the tables have turned.
I originally thought about having him fly over with someone but that means my rabbit is away from me for 3 days and it's a matter of how do I get his cage and such to Virginia.

Sounds like you have a good head start on what to gather. I'd suggest an ex-pen for sure too. I assume you'll be stopping at hotels/motels along the way, so it'd be a good idea to be able to setup an ex-pen on top of a heavy duty tarp in the hotel room. Of course that means that you'll want to start searching for hotels along the way that allow pets (there's usually an additional fee).

I also assume you have a hard-sided carrier -- not too large. Driving is going to be less stressful than flying. Flying, the airlines often require the rabbit to go in cargo which would be incredibly stressful.

Here's an article on how to set and strap the carrier.

And here's a photo for an example of how we set up an area for a rabbit in a hotel.
A few things to note:
  • Plastic tarp is laid down and covered with a fleece blanket (both happen to be blue so may be hard to see)
  • cardboard box collapses for easy storing in car but provides comforting hiding place while in strange environment (hotel)
  • usual litter box
  • misc mats are from their home cage so they are familiar and have their scent for comfort
  • usual (familiar) food and water dishes too

Attachments

• 1675203087251.jpeg
    1675203087251.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back