Moving buns to balcony?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abi :)

Reaction score
Hey guys!

There's a chance we might end up moving back to our old apartment since I'm going to college next year and it's closer to my old place. Essentially as of now the buns are living in our utility area which is where we keep our washer and dryer so it's technically still indoors- they also get free time in our kitchen. If we end up moving back to our apartment the buns will have to live in our balcony area with play time in our living room, the balcony is actually bigger than their current area and is safe- it has cement walls and mesh so the buns can't escape at all, I'm also planning to look into potentially getting glass as well to cover the mesh as extra protection. I'll definitely take their hutch so they have a 'home base' but in the UK it rains quite a lot in the winter/spring months so if they are going to be in the balcony despite it mostly being sheltered there is still a chance of the flooring and area getting wet in heavy rain since the wind will blow the rain in. In the wetter months what sort of flooring should I use? Since it may be getting wet frequently I'll need something fast drying and large to cover the whole floor. If anyone also has any advice on adjusting indoor rabbits to becoming outdoor/semi outdoor rabbits that'd also be very helpful! Thanks!

Would foam / rubber interlocking floor mats work as an option?

Will it also be possible to cover their area, so nothing can get in / they can’t get out? My friend had a devastating incident recently with one of her rescues, where she left them unattended briefly, came back and one of them had gone. She found him on the floor below (he didn’t survive). It’s not clear how he made it over the side- the walls are concrete and he wasn’t a jumper. I wondered whether a large bird had attempted to fly off with him. Either way, it was just awful for both the bun and her.

I don’t think her or I ever thought it was possible for such a thing to happen given the height of the walls, so just something to be aware of when keeping them outside.

Some things to consider are:

-Ensure birds of prey (or neighboring cats) cannot reach your bunnies. You may need to hang up netting or use some sort of other barrier (like the glass you mentioned)

-REALLY make sure those walls are high enough so that the bunnies could NOT jump over the edge (they can jump VERY high when panicked)

-Provide a couple different shelters so they have a place to get out of the wind and rain on stormy days- bunnies are pretty good at staying warm when it's cold, but they don't do well exposed to constant drafts without reprieve. Face the shelters in different directions, so they can adapt as the wind direction changes. During the summer months, provide ice bottles and/or check on them regularly to make sure they don't get too hot

Chances are, they will adapt just fine and do well as long as they're protected from predators, escape, and harsh elements. Two of my bunnies are outdoors- for footing during the winter months, I put down a layer of wood shavings and top it off with a thick layer of hay. I change it as often as needed if it gets dampened by rain, but it does pretty well for us. Another option would be blankets or fabric of some sort, it would create more laundry, but would probably be less messy. Maybe a bunch of kitchen or bath mats? If I were in your situation renting an apartment, I'd lay down some thick tarps / plastic first to protect the tile from mold/smells/stains underneath any bedding you want to use.

Please be sure your buns also have protection from the sun, heat stroke is a killer.

As for flooring maybe some wood deck tiles so water can drain through. And they aren't hopping in any puddles?

Deck Tiles - Patio Pavers - Acacia Wood Outdoor Flooring - Interlocking Patio Tiles - 12"x12" (6 Pack) - Oiled Acacia Finish - Straight Pattern Decking https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DYC74H...abc_SWK2CQ51DE227DCB26WM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

hey! thank you all for your responses, they’ve been very helpful! the walls in the balcony are quite high and there is a layer of mesh above as photographed, and the ceiling is also covered- however i will definitely look into getting some plexiglass or smaller mesh above the walls for extra protection but i do think it’ll be hard for large birds to fit through the gaps of the mesh. And since we are on the sixth floor a cat can't exactly jump over to our balcony.

For the flooring the buns absolutely destroyed foam mats last time I used them so i’m not sure that’ll be an option! the original flooring is cement flooring and I'll definitely but some tarps to lay under any rugs/mats I buy so thanks for mentioning that?

Since the ceiling is covered the only place that is open is the sides, and in the UK the summers aren't usually too hot with the exception of some heatwaves but in the winter month I'll get a couple of large tiles and cool packs.

I have a hutch which I plan to take with us so that will be their main 'housing' which should provide the most protection from the heat and cold. For other hides should I just go with cardboard boxes?

Screenshot 2021-11-04 at 15.02.27.pngScreenshot 2021-11-04 at 15.00.30.png

Latest posts

Back