Moving buns indoors

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NotaCocoaPuff

Reaction score
My buns are 7mo old now, 2 and 3 weeks post-spay.
My goal is to move them indoors as free range rabbits. They current are free range on my patio and doing well litter box training. A few accidents still but I can’t tell if it’s because they marked those spots before.
I’ve tried them inside a few times and ever time they poop all over the place and pee. I always have their litter box inside when I bring them in but it doesn’t seem to stop the pooping/peeing.

Am I just trying too soon? Should I wait a while longer before trying to move them inside?

If you are going to move them inside, make them a space just for them and slowly expand it. Why they are peeing and pooping everywhere it’s to mark their territory and make it smell like them [emoji5]

I figured it was marking behavior. I really don’t want my house smelling like rabbit poo/pee... their waste is very pungent, even the poo which I find strange.
Mr. Rabbit left pellets here and there but nothing major and his poo didn’t smell at all.
Is this a female thing, that their waste is smelly?

I never found my bunnies waste smell except from my doe. But she leaves Huge amount of waste, giant bunny. So dosen’t know, but I think bunnies that aren’t spayed or neutered can have a bit more smell.

Remember my friends bunny, that bunny stank horrible because of it droppings and pee.

Hermelin is right, you need to start them off in a small space and gradually increase their territory so they don't go nuts marking it all.

Does ALL their poo smell or just some of it? If some of it is softer/looks like a tiny bunch of grapes and stinks then they're not eating all of their cecal poop and it's most likely time to cut back on pellets. If even the fecals smell, I don't know what the problem might be but I feel like that would mean there is one. @JBun would probably be able to help.

Yes, all poops smell, at least from Basil who’s the alpha queen . They are not cecal poops for sure.
I did try to clean her scent glands this morning so I’m hoping that helps although that had a totally different smell.
I’m wondering too if part of it is hormones too, she’s only been fixed for 3 weeks. She still rubs her chin everywhere

Latest posts

Back