Moving Bunny Outside

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachaeeelanneee

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
It's almost springtime where I'm from, and I am building (it's almost done) a hutch for my Moo (he's a holland lop😊). He will be moved outside, and I was hoping for some advice on that. He will have a heater to keep him warm enough until summer. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make the transition easier or anything like that?
Thanks so much!!

It's a mini personal heater, it only does really low heat, and it's kept in a box outside of the hutch, just pointing towards him. It's pretty much a fan that has room temperature air blowing.

My bun hasn't been outside so he doesn't have his winter coat. I'm worried about the cold being too much for him.

i wouldnt do it directly on him if possible. if you do, keep a thermometer in the hutch and feel his ears to make sure he not too hot. im not sure how hot your summers get in idaho, but in MA it gets HOT and humid, and i would never have my rabbit outside, even with a fan and something frozen to sit on.

as for a transition, set the cage the same way if possible.

The highest it gets in Idaho(where I'm at) in the summer is like 85 degrees Fahrenheit, and that's not till the end of July/beginning of August. I'm more worried about the cold because he hasn't been outside, he's been in my bedroom, so he doesn't have a thick coat. He's used to room temperature, so I just want to make sure he's kept warm.
Also, the fan won't be directly on him.

i would say that 85 is too hot. rabbits can die from heat stroke easliy. is it possible to keep him outdoors in the spring and fall when there is perfect "bunny temps"? i also have an outdoor hutch and i put my rabbit out just during the day on days that are a fair temp. occasionally on the cooler summer days in the morning i will take her out on the leash to run and explore the yard

85 in the shade, with an cooling block, ice water bottle, and water spritzer isn't too hot. Many people have bunnies outside in worse than 85. And there's like maybe 3 days out of the whole summer that are that hot.

I love my bun and he'll have more room and a much happier time in his outdoor hutch. I love you guys for caring and giving me cautions but I really only wanted some tips or stories from those who have moved indoor buns to outdoor buns.

I think it would be best to wait until the nighttime temperatures are above 50 degrees or so before putting your bunny outside. Then once they are living outside, their coats will adjust to the seasons. I don't really like the heater idea because they could get too warm and it could be a fire hazard. I have my rabbits outdoors all year round and they have an enclosed part of their hutches that I fill with straw for them to burrow in. Straw is a good insulator. Since we have had a stretch of subzero temps, my husband has also started putting hay down on the floor of the rest of their hutch for them to walk on. They love digging around and burrowing in that too.

Yes definitely use straw! If you think it's getting very cold a waterproof hutch cover does the job and a water bottle cover to stop it from freezing! In England it's 0°- 25°C all year round so I let my rabbits in the garden during the day for fresh air and grass however at night they live inside due to predators.

Yes definitely use straw! If you think it's getting very cold a waterproof hutch cover does the job and a water bottle cover to stop it from freezing! In England it's 0°- 25°C all year round so I let my rabbits in the garden during the day for fresh air and grass however at night they live inside due to predators.

Thanks! We don't have very extreme weather here. In Idaho, it's very common to raise bunnies outside, and I'm very excited to have my bun outside. He'll have a run, and a predator safe hutch. He'll have much more room and exorcise time and he'll be much happier outdoors. I just want to make sure that his transition is okay and doesn't shock him.

Latest posts

Back