Moving bunny from indoor to outdoors to play.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now the weather is warm, like to take Cinnabun to the backyard to run and play.
She loves being out there, but the problem is, she hates to be picked up.
I have wrapped her in a towel, have just picked her up hiding her head under my arm.
After I bring her in, she runs when she sees me and hides.
She is free roam so it's easy for her to run from me.
Any other suggestions for taking her in and out that is less irritating to her.

Attachments

• 20210419_111254.jpg
    20210419_111254.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210423_084205.jpg
    20210423_084205.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 5
Now the weather is warm, like to take Cinnabun to the backyard to run and play.
She loves being out there, but the problem is, she hates to be picked up.
I have wrapped her in a towel, have just picked her up hiding her head under my arm.
After I bring her in, she runs when she sees me and hides.
She is free roam so it's easy for her to run from me.
Any other suggestions for taking her in and out that is less irritating to her.
How often do you take her out?

Since you are in Utah, please be aware about the risk of RHDV in Utah: USDA APHIS | 2020 Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease -- Affected Counties

You can perhaps use a carrier.
I would also consider perhaps making outside time in a pen-- in my opinion, especially if it's hard to get your rabbit back, it would be safer to have a more controlled space where you can quickly get your rabbit if there is any danger.

Yes I have a crate.
As far as the RHDV goes vet said it wasn't neccessary here in Utah.
I live in the city, so there's no chance of seeing any wild rabbits. Also my yard is fenced in with a cedar wood fence.
I don't know anyone that has a rabbit so I'm not touching others.

Yes, use a pet carrier. Use one of her favorite foods/treats to lure her in.

Right now things are starting to warm up here during the day. I don't know when you take her out, but just be careful about daytime temps and direct sunlight. Rabbits can overheat really easily. Usually early morning and the evening are the best times for them to be outside, and other times when temps are below 75. And try and keep out of direct sunlight for the most part. But soon, even the evenings will get to stay too hot until it cools down much later. So just make sure temps are nice and cool when you take your bun out.

https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-health/recognizing-heat-stroke-in-your-pet-rabbit/
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Heat_stroke
There have been a few isolated cases of RHVD here in Utah, but it's not at all widespread. It can be spread by insects, so no contact with other rabbits isn't a determining factor in it's spread. But the chances of a rabbit contracting it here would be very minimal. Yes, still possible, though just not too likely. At least not yet hopefully. I hate that we now have it here in the US at all, but I guess it was bound to catch up to us too.

Yes, use a pet carrier. Use one of her favorite foods/treats to lure her in.

Right now things are starting to warm up here during the day. I don't know when you take her out, but just be careful about daytime temps and direct sunlight. Rabbits can overheat really easily. Usually early morning and the evening are the best times for them to be outside, and other times when temps are below 75. And try and keep out of direct sunlight for the most part. But soon, even the evenings will get to stay too hot until it cools down much later. So just make sure temps are nice and cool when you take your bun out.

https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-health/recognizing-heat-stroke-in-your-pet-rabbit/
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Heat_stroke
There have been a few isolated cases of RHVD here in Utah, but it's not at all widespread. It can be spread by insects, so no contact with other rabbits isn't a determining factor in it's spread. But the chances of a rabbit contracting it here would be very minimal. Yes, still possible, though just not too likely. At least not yet hopefully. I hate that we now have it here in the US at all, but I guess it was bound to catch up to us too.
Oh insects thank you.
Been taking her out in the mornings. And late evening with a bowl of water.
When the mosquito start flying I won't go out. I do try to kill them with essential oils.

It would be best if she could just go outside on her own steam. Not possible? Then to get her back in, train her to recognise the sound of a pellet jar (or similar) and she should come running. Don't leave her outside unsupervised.

It would be best if she could just go outside on her own steam. Not possible? Then to get her back in, train her to recognise the sound of a pellet jar (or similar) and she should come running. Don't leave her outside unsupervised.
No problem getting her to come back inside. She comes when called.
No I don't leave her a lone outside.

Latest posts

Back