Move or send Mr. Lola to a nice home

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tisha

Reaction score
Well, we've had Mr. Lola for about 6 monthsnow. He's the light of my life - but on Xmas Day (while I wasvisiting my mother) the apartment manager confronted my husband aboutthe rabbit. Apparantly someone in our building must havedisclosed that we had the bun. So, we either have to move orfind somewhere for Mr. Lola to go.

At one point in time my sister would've taken Mr. Lola. Butnow that she has a dog and a cat and living in a small apartment - shecan't take him for long.

I'm looking onling and around the neighborhood for another place to live that accepts small pets but they aren't plentiful.

I'm hoping to house the bun at my sister's for a couple of weeks untilwe find another place to live - but it's just hard because we have tobe limited with our area due to the kids' schools and what not.

So, i'm left with the following options:

a) Send Mr. Lola to my sister's house for a few weeks until I can find some place else to live or
b) Find a new home for Mr. Lola with someone who would give him just as much (if not more!) love than I give him now.

If I was to find a new home for him - where would I evenlook? I told my husband that I refuse to list him in thepaper or craigslist. I'm so worried that someone will put himoutside all the time or that he'll never get to come out to play.

Oh my, i'm so terribly sad just thinking about it. He's thesweetest little man bun. He potties in his box and is sosweet.

=(...

~Tisha

Before making any extreme moves, I would write avery nice letter to the owner of the property. Perhaps, withan extra deposit and/or security, you would bee able to keep Mr. Lola.

keep mr.lola at your sisters house and try andfind a new place to live (for you) and if you cant keep him as long asyou can to find a new house(for you)were praying foryou:pray:let us know what happens!!!

I just talked to my hubby on the phone and hesays that he is going to call the owner and ask him nicely if we canstay. Reminding him that we are great tenants, have livedhere for well over 2+ years, never late on rent, etc. Ididn't think about the "extra deposit" bit but I should have himinclude that in there, too. That we will pay an additional$200 (which should cover the carpet Mr. Lola has chewed. lol)deposit.

Thanks~
Tisha

I know how hard it is to keep pets in apartments, especially in our area. Good luck with convincing your manager.

:magicwand:

GOOD LUCK with the phone call get back to us !!!!!:pray:s!!!! hugs for you guys:hug:

Well I just can't imagine a more horriblesituation than yours. I think that it would be worth a try totalk to the manger. I can't imagine giving your bunnyup butsometimes I am not practical. I used to live in downtown Chicago instudio apts. I always lived in a bldg. that allowed dogs because youcan't hide a dog.... but I always had a whole bunch of other pets thatwere my "secret"...rabbits, guineas pigs, birds , hamsters. I was ableto diligently conceal my other pets because I feared so much having togive one up. If you do have to move I wouldn't necessarily let anyoneknow that you have a rabbit.....I mean you can't tell other tenants orshow the bunny to anyone etc. This may not be honest but I think Iwould die if I had to give up a pet.

what does your lease say? if you can find a way around this, i wish you all the best.

everyone may have different opinions on what they would do, and i hopeyou make the decision that's right for you and your whole family,whatever it may be.

:hug:

Nicole

When we moved in here, this building wasactually owned by somebody else. The current owners didn'tclose escrow until a week or two later. Because of that,anyone who had pets before were allowed to keep them (because theprevious owners allowed pets). When this owner took over wewere told that everything in the contracts would remain the same.

I NEED to find that letter and contract.

Hubby said we should tell him that we've had the bun since we moved inand that we just didn't tell anyone because we didn't think it wasnecessary.

I told my husband that if we can't come to an understanding with theowner - then we are just going to have to move. I love my buntoo much and it's not like we own this apartment. We weregoing to stay here until the market got decent enough to buy (we're inSoCal - I don't think that's happening anytime soon!) but I think thismight be the kick in the bum we need to start looking to buy.

hah. I was talking to my sister, who is a big fan of pets,and I asked her, "Is it crazy to move just because of the rabbit?" andshe said HECK NO. Glad to know i'm not crazy for uprootingfor the sake of the bun.

Like I said earlier, I'm extremely limited to where I can move becauseI need to keep the kids in their schools. I can't make thekids move schools just because I need to keep the rabbit. =/

~Tisha

Your situation is different than mine because Idon't have "real" children but "animal" children. You will need to dowhat you have to do and I would not judge you for it. I can tell thatyou really love your rabbit. If you could find the letter from theprevious owner it would probably solve your problem.

Tisha wrote:
hah. I was talking to my sister, who is a big fanof pets, and I asked her, "Is it crazy to move just because of therabbit?" and she said HECK NO. Glad to know i'm not crazy foruprooting for the sake of the bun.
I would do the same thing! My buns and I are a package deal.:bunnydance::bunnydance:

you are definitely not crazy for moving for yourrabbit.. i respect you for that desicion! just try your best to findthat letter and if the owners say too bad, threaten to take them tosmall claims court! if they originally said "some people can keep theiranimals and some cant" that doesn't make sense. fight for it and you'llbe happy you did, that way your kids can stay in their schools and youcan keep your bun bun :) good luck and please keep us updated!

Good News!

The manager said that he hasn't told the owner yet and that as long aswe keep the doors closed when the bun is out and not let anyone see -we are good to go. He says that if someone complains that wehave a pet and they don't - then we can talk to the owner.

Yay!

~Tisha

HHHHHHOOOORRRRAAAYYY!!!!!!!!:bunnydance::elephant::colors::sunshine::yes::highfive::party::happybunny::groupparty:

(coming into this post late)

I am so glad that you were able to work things out with your aptmanager. I definitely don't think its weird to considermoving for your bunny. I live in an apt too (fortunately myapt accept my bunnies as long as I paid a catdeposit, I guessno one has ever asked them about bunnies before so they just charged mea cat one... heheee...). Unfortunately too many bunnies endup in shelters, homeless, rescues b/c of similiarlivingsituations. When we bring pets into our livesthey should be considered part of our lives and we promise themthe5 necessities: shelter, food, water, hay andLOVE. I commend you forseeking out all your options to keep your rabbit a part of yourfamily. I am sure your bunny appreciate your effortstoo.

:great:

*looking at your profile*

We're neighbors!! I live in Orange, CA!
:highfive:

Im soo glad your bunny can stay.i just read onanother forum a breeder had to sell all her rabbits because they werenot allowed to have them were they lived.If you are going to haverabbits please check if they are allowed before you get them.i dontmean you tisha as somebody bought your building when you already livedthere.bluebird

Latest posts

Back