Move litter box to new location

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anitres

Reaction score
Hello,

Three months ago I rescued a 6 month old bun who was already litter trained. Of course when she got to her new home she pooped and peed all over to mark her territory. I put litter boxes all over the house and got her spayed 6 weeks ago. Eventually she settled on one area, right next to the front door. I kept a litter box there while I tried to encourage her to go in a better suited area. But she has refused to move her bunny business elsewhere. I will move the litter just a few inches from the door, but she will just hop over her litter box and continue to poop next to the door. If I leave her litter next to the door she is good about using it but she continues to poop all around her litter box also. It got so bad I had to put 2 litter boxes next to the front door and pee pads around her litter boxes to try to stop the stray piles of poop. Of course when we leave the house we have to move her litter, and she will leave piles of poops next to the door to greet us upon our return home. BTW we only leave her completely free for short periods when we are gone. I also clean her litter box several times but she continues poops outside the box. I tried to reward her when she goes in her litter box, but she just had a bout of GI stasis and I am scared to give her treats. I have used all kinds of enzyme cleaners to get rid of scent next to the door. Sorry for the long description, but A. How can I successfully move her litter box to a new location and B. How can I cut down on her pooping outside her box. I am just so tired of sweeping up poop all day!

Put the litter box where you want it to go, and put a playpen around it. She can stay in that playpen until she learns to use the litter box in that spot. When she pees on the floor, soak the pee up with a paper towel, put the towel in the litter box, and clean the area with distilled white vinegar. When she poops on the floor, leave the poops for 24 hours before putting them in the litter box, and then clean the area with vinegar.

If she keeps pooping outside of the litter box, you might need a larger litter box.

Latest posts

Back