Mourning bunny mom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found my liitle 8 year old dwarf rabbit deceased the other day in my my house, so sudden, I'm so sad. He was the best pet I have ever had. I'm grateful for the the 8 years, but I'm really going to miss him. Still kind of a shock.

I am really sorry for your loss, I know how it feels. I am sure he had a great life with you.
Sometimes when I get sad I think of my bunny jumping and doing all kind of binkies somewhere up there.

I am so sorry....I tear up every time I read a post about somebody losing their bunny. I lost my twelve year old rabbit over two years ago and I still have trouble coping with her loss. She was my heart bunny. I have a small box with some of her fur in it along with a necklace I wear with her name on it and fur in it....sometimes something like this helps us cope.

So sorry for your loss :(. I hope knowing your sweet baby is running and playing with all the other lost loves gives you some comfort. I am willing to listen if you need someone to talk to.

I am so very sorry you lost your baby. The bond we make with these creatures is truly special and unique. Probably because they are themselves. Be grateful for the memories that last.a lifetime and find comfort in knowing that it does get easier as time passes.

I join you in your grief and wish you peace of mind and hope you find comfort in the fact that he did not suffer a long, painful illness at the end of his life. Even though there is some time to "prepare" for a sad outcome with an illness and sudden death is shocking and jarring, there is comfort in the thought that he did not suffer. I still have some poops from our first bunny and wished we had saved some fur. With current bunny, I am keeping some of the clumps from shedding season. We find comfort in the strangest things when we are in pain. Taking videos of him eating greens in close up, as he looks silly doing that. I feel your loss.
take care.

I lost two baby bunnies. I did everything I could to make them stay in their nest box. But I think the mom killed them. The first one, I thought it was injured because it couldn't walk. But when the 2nd one died, it was under a floor mat like something put it under there. Which I think was likely the mom b/c she was the one who knew where the babies were. When the 2nd one died, it seem too suspicious how two healthy looking baby bunnies could die in consecutive days, especially the last one being under a floor mat. And the vet did tell me mom bunnies can kill their babies, especially when I told them about the 2nd bunny that died.

I was so angry when both of them died, I was thinking of the future and how they look like as adult bunnies. And I did follow as many directions as possible from the people who posted, like trying to make multiple barriers so the babies couldn't get out. But what I think happened was the mom couldn't get them out of the cage, so she concluded by killing them.

That's so sad, I'm so sorry. Our bunny's are so special and the relationships we have are hard for non-bunny owners to realize. We have to have faith that their little bunny spirits are still alive and are living in heaven. I know that doesn't fill the void. I find myself trying to analyze what happened with my little guy. I don't know, I guess he was sick and I didn't know, or maybe just old age? There's nothing I could have done. I did everything right with him always too. Remember the buns with your head up and remember how sweet they were.

I’m so sorry for your loss. I know sometimes when you talk to people who don’t have rabbits they don’t understand and they say it’s just a bunny but it’s not. You genuinely bond with these little babies and they become your everything. I can say that I would 110% give my life for my bunny and I don’t care if I get judged, because that “animal” has been there for me through everything and even though we are different species, she’s like my child. Lol I sound crazy but it’s how I feel. Your baby is thankful for those 8 years you’ve spent with it and trust me, they would want you to help other animals as well. When my rabbit passes away one day, I will do everything to help bunnies in shelters cause I know my rabbit would want me to give others a good life like I did for her ❤️

Likewise sending comfort hugs. Please treasure the memories. Hundreds to thousands of rabbits never experience the love you provide, or live to 8 years old. The hurt equates to a chunk of our hearts being ripped out; same as a dog or cat or beloved "friend" dying or passing on. Memories are what we treasure.

Hubby and I have experience the loss of cottontails on our property (which people would think is absurd to mourn over). Gravitate to people who understand... as our rabbits truly do occupy a forever place and piece of our hearts. Hubby and I have gone thru numerous PTS decisions, or come across a bun who unexpectedly passed away.

Facebook has wonderful forums for helping humans appreciate their pets - or species the media chooses not to recognize as a worthy house mate or pet.

With rabbit rescue efforts over the years, and situations heard of or experienced, your dwarf bun was Truly Fortunate you cared and kept her as 4-legged "family".

A house bun with many amenities and your TLC was fortunate to connect with you. Sending hugs, hon. Take Care. Our hearts are with you and yours,

Thank you for your supportive and kind response. My little "hunter" had the rule of the roost. He was the boss and had the family wrapped around his little rabbit foot.
So smart and funny little guy. We will miss him, but were blessed to have him.

Thank you for your supportive and kind response. My little "hunter" had the rule of the roost. He was the boss and had the family wrapped around his little rabbit foot.
So smart and funny little guy. We will miss him, but were blessed to have him.

SuzyRabbitMom, i correct my entry to say him. Your little "dwarf boy hunter" would want his gender correct! My apologies. ~The hurt you feel is equivalent to the love invested. // Humans who are clueless or don't care are void of emotions or heartache.

And seeing your screen name brings a smile for being a rabbit mom!

Latest posts

Back