Moulting/ shedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariah

Reaction score
Kiwi is going though her first moult. I've had her since she was 5 weeks old. She is 1 year, 4 months or so. I've been sitting with her everynight after work and helping get rid of the hair by brushing and by just "pulling" it out.

Is there anything else i can do to help her with her first moult?

I don't know if this has anything to do with her moult but she didn't poop today from 12pm to 830pm. She just pooped now so my blood pressure has gone down... (I'm a very parnoid bunny mom). I tore apart her poop and there is hair in her poops.

I have cisapride and metacam on hand if need be.

Should I buy her a pineapple and give her some chunks and juice?

She is still eating her pellets and drinking. She is a very picky hay eater but she is munching on that too.

Any input would be great!

my bunny gizmo ended up swallowing a bunch of fur when she pulled it out going through her moult last years. rabbits cant throw up so it can get stuck in their stomach and eventually end up in their poops. ygizmo ended up choling on fur that got built up in her throat so you should check in her mouth every once in a while to be sure she doesnt have anything lodged in there...other than that, i would see no harm to go ahead with the pineapple so that she is pooping more often. sometimes i get a damp cloth and pet gizmo with it and it removes a ton of fur at once...good luck...moulting is not always the most fun time ;)

my bunny gizmo ended up swallowing a bunch of fur when she pulled it out going through her moult last years. rabbits cant throw up so it can get stuck in their stomach and eventually end up in their poops. ygizmo ended up choling on fur that got built up in her throat so you should check in her mouth every once in a while to be sure she doesnt have anything lodged in there...other than that, i would see no harm to go ahead with the pineapple so that she is pooping more often. sometimes i get a damp cloth and pet gizmo with it and it removes a ton of fur at once...good luck...moulting is not always the most fun time ;)

My lionhead sheds all the time! But the first time he molted, I was flipping out because he ingested so much fur. Brushing is your best friend. I also give pineapple chunks daily, since the enzymes are so good. If you have access to papaya tablets, those I hear are great. My buns won't touch them though.

Make sure she stays hydrated. I had to syringe feed Bunny water because he wasn't drinking enough. Good luck :)

I don't have a problem with kiwi drinking! She's a very picky girl and will only drink bottled water :D She drinks about a bottle a day- 500ml. Does that sound like enough?

I have been sprinkling alpha hay onto her Timothy hay twice a day. Just a little pinch, cause I know it's not good for bunnies over 6 months. Usually by the morning her while hay rack is empty. I guess she dos most of her eating overnight.

I will defintely get her a pineapple tomorrow. She does tend to like it.

What do the papaya tablets do?

I will try the damp cloth to help with the shedding as well. She's not a very cuddly girl so brushing/ picking is hard. I have to follow her around everywhere cause she dosent like to be held.

Thanks for the suggestions! Anymore are welcome!

Can anyone comment on kiwis water consumption?

She is coming to the end of her moult now. I'm still getting hair off, but not as much as before. She also dosent look so "scruffy" anymore.

I've started giving her pineapple juice from a fresh pineapple and tiny little chunks. She takes a bit but usually there is some left in the morning.

Nibbles HATES being brushed, but he gets the hair in his poop and strung together poops, so we have to. I take him to the bathtub to brush him because he can't run away there! The papaya tablets are supposed to help with hair digestion. Since we started giving them to our bunnies, I have noticed less strung together poops (although there are still some).

Her water consumption sounds great to me. I've never measured how much water ours drink per day, but I'm pretty sure it's not that much.

I just googled how many ml's are in 16oz and 32oz. If your rabbit is 5-6lbs or under she is probably drinking enough. My Mini Rex will normally drink 1/2 of their 32oz bottles each day (sometimes less). So it sounds like she is drinking normally. It would also help to know how much she weighs and how much she drinks when she is not molting.

Thanks for the response. Kiwi is a holland lop so she weights about 4-5 pounds or so.

She is doing much better now. She's still moulting, but I believe it's coming to an end. I did get the pineapple juice and she does drink/ eat some overnight. She's eating her pellets/ hay and drinking her water.

I tried giving her tap water (we are on a well) and funny enough her water consumption went down. Did the bottled water again, and it went back up. Picky little girl ;)

Arrggg I hate well water!! Haha... we're on a well also. I can understand why rabbits wouldn't drink it (at least mine won't) because ours tastes awful. Bottled water it is!

Buster's been molting too and I noticed that he wasn't pooping as much as his normal poopie self! So I gave him a plate of some watered down pineapple juice, which he loved! (I read about some bunnies hating pineapple juice.) Also, I cut down on the pellets and veggies I give him for the time being (just by a little bit) just to increase his hay consumption and that seemed to help a lot too.

Does anyone know how long they usually moult for? Buster's going on 3 weeks now so I'm not sure if it's a moult or maybe if the heat's getting to him.

When I'm suspicious of my fuzzy lop of having a hair block, I add a small amount of pineapple juice to his water bottle. It's a win-win situation because the pineapple gets into his system, and he drinks more water. When she's done molting, just slowly ease her off of the pineapple juice, or else she won't want to drink plain water. Hopefully that helps, and your bunny gets better soon!

Latest posts

Back