Moulting & microchip help?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo’s Slave

Reaction score
I’m putting these both in the same thread but I’m not sure if it’s a good idea.

1. Apollo is going through a. Heavy moult at the moment - as I think many buns are, but he’s had a reduced appetite because of it. I’ve been brushing him out twice a day but I’m still a little worried that he’s ingesting too much fur. I usually don’t give additional supports like moulting or digestive support tablets but I’m wondering what you think of them (if they work and such), and if you know any good ones to give. Thanks!

2. We got Apollo in November 2019, and he was already microchipped. I was looking through his adoption folder for his microchip number - as I saw someone found their rabbits birthday by checking the microchip database. I spent about half an hour trying to find his out but I think it’s still registered with the RSPCA. How do I get it swapped over to my -mums- name?

I plan on getting the oxbow digestive support tablets, I was told by a few people that they're good to give daily because they have many prebiotic sources. So I'm waiting til my boy is 6 months before letting him try :)

But following this thread, I'd like to learn more as well and see if there's anything else I can do to help my rabbit's moult

Hay, hay, and more hay. Offer "fresh" hay multiple times per day and keep an eye on that water bowl. (They tend to increase their water intake when they eat more hay.) Hay pushes everything through the gut.

Keep an eye on the poos too, of course. They may string together like a pearls if he's ingesting loads of fur.

I plan on getting the oxbow digestive support tablets, I was told by a few people that they're good to give daily because they have many prebiotic sources. So I'm waiting til my boy is 6 months before letting him try :)

But following this thread, I'd like to learn more as well and see if there's anything else I can do to help my rabbit's moult
Thank you! I’ll have to do more reading up on them.

Hay, hay, and more hay. Offer "fresh" hay multiple times per day and keep an eye on that water bowl. (They tend to increase their water intake when they eat more hay.) Hay pushes everything through the gut.

Keep an eye on the poos too, of course. They may string together like a pearls if he's ingesting loads of fur.
Thanks! He’s got a 2.5kg box of hay, that is open for him to hop in and out of as he pleases and his litterbox is topped up twice a day. He’s eating right now so hopefully that helps!

You should be able to look up the microchip online, like he was a lost pet. It might tell you a company name there. If in doubt phone one of the microchip companies and ask if they can tell what brand/company the microchip is from then you can contact that company and switch the info over. They will likely require proof of ownership.

If there was a supplement that would help with moulting, all rabbit vets would be recommending it... Just keep brushing and make sure he eats a lot of hay and is hydrated. That's all you can do.

You should be able to look up the microchip online, like he was a lost pet. It might tell you a company name there. If in doubt phone one of the microchip companies and ask if they can tell what brand/company the microchip is from then you can contact that company and switch the info over. They will likely require proof of ownership.
thank you!

If there was a supplement that would help with moulting, all rabbit vets would be recommending it... Just keep brushing and make sure he eats a lot of hay and is hydrated. That's all you can do.
Yep. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back