Moulting! Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avarocks

Reaction score
I have no idea where this post should actually be! Sorry if this is wrong.

Okay, so I am going through my first moult with Milo. I know it's normal and I know he's not sick. I read all about it so I know why he's doing it and when I should be alarmed (if his skin looks irritated or anything)

When I am looking for is help on managing it. He's getting lots of hay and I read that pieces of banana can help in digestion from what they swallow grooming. I will make sure he gets that here and there.

I live in a small apartment that Milo has free reign in, when I am home and awake. But the fur is flying ALL OVER. I can't keep him outside, it's an apartment building with like 35 people. Long story short, we go outside to play but he must reside indoors with me. I wouldn't want him anywhere else, anyway. You touch him and the fur just flies. It's all over the place. I sweep and vacuum and sweep and vacuum and always, balls of fur. I don't have a bunny comb but I have a fine tooth comb you might use on a person's hair that I have started to use on him. Especially at his neck I pulled out tufts of it. He looked like he was starting a mohawk lol. It's all smooth now that I combed it all out. Milo HATES grooming. With a passion. On top of that, tonight he was treating the whole thing like a game. Feel free to laugh...it's frustrating but the sound of it will sound funny lol...and to think of it, the scene kind of was. It felt like a scene out of a robert munsch book. I was reminded of Thomas's Snowsuit. I'm in a wheelchair but I got out onto the floor so I could work on his grooming with the comb. First time I've tried the comb, and man o man did I comb off a LOT of hair. He hates the grooming so I'd get about an inch of him done, he'd take off. I'd pull the hair off the comb into the garbage and he'd be somewhere else, so I'm crawling toward him and he's hopping away like it's a game of chase. Stinker lol. I spent like half an hour crawling to chase him around the apartment, wrestle him to stay somewhat still, comb off as much as I can then he flips out and off we ago again. It was a comical scene but I'm having a very hard time controlling all this FUR! How do you guys do it? What do you do? I have to get as much off as possible because we're going to my parents' cottage this weekend...just overnight but he's going. And if he is going to leave handfuls of fur everywhere then unless outside, they'll make him stay in the cage. If it rains or something that's going to suck big time for him. And here at home, everywhere you look, and everywhere you don't look, there's little bunny fluff balls. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I'm tempted to put a brush end on my vacuum cleaner and run it over him. I'm totally serious too. Need to test the suction on myself first lol...make sure it won't hurt him. If I even have such an end for it. It's very, very tempting.

Sarah

:D I just had such situation a week ago when Kimiko started moulting. I even had her hair on my toothpaste. Pls don't ask me how it got there, I kept my toothpaste in a cupboard in the bathroom. Yes, she had an access to there, but she should be able to reach the cupboard on the wall,right ? :?
Anyway, my girl doesn't like being groomed that much too. I have to groom her while she eats her treats: banana chips, a pinch of oats, and a bit of sunflower seeds. :expressionless Yes, I know that it supposes to be our bonding time, Kimiko loves to be petted and be snuggled only with hands. When it comes down to the grooming time, I have to keep her busy and keep her staying still. Maybe you can try a grooming gloves (Forgive me if I call this wrong), you know... I saw once at a pet shop and they have grooming gloves for cats and rabbits (smaller size than for dogs). Does he like being petted ? If so, mayby this glove will work.
I normally groom Kimi once every day, but during her moulting time, I groom her couple times a day ( I gave her those treats once a day, the other grooming time I try to pet her first, giving her a bit massage ;) so when she starts to relax, I grab the grooming set asap and brush brush brush.
:)

I have a furminator brush for my rabbit and I love it. He hates being groomed...at first. I catch him and hold him down gently around his shoulders on a towel and then brush. After a couple of minutes he usually stops trying to escape and relaxes like he does when I'm petting him. I think grooming daily also helps. I notice that he struggles less the more often I do it. No matter what, when I'm done he gives me the foot flicks hopping away and then grooms himself for about 5 minutes.

There's really not much you can do other than clean up the furry tumbleweeds and keep brushing them until it's over. If he'll put up the vacuum attachment that might help.

Some say that papaya helps dissolve hair in the gut, but I haven't actually seen any evidence for this. I've never heard of banana helping, so I wouldn't bother with that either. Both make good treats, but don't worry about feeding them in order to help with gut health.

golfdiva wrote:
FWIW - I had a friend who vacuumed his cat - just the way you described! :shock:
:expressionless:expressionless:expressionless... I've never heard anything like that before.

My bun is doing the same thing and we are inundated with fur balls! We bought some cat grooming gloves at Petsmart and pet her with them a couple of times a day. It does seem to help some.

This is late but best method I found is to have a bowl of warm water and a roll of paper towels and just pet, rinse your hands, pet, rinse, wipe, pet, rinse, etc...

It comes off and stays in the bowl. I even had fur on the ceiling during mini-rex molts.

sas :bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back