Mouldy Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlebuns

Reaction score
I just wanted to share some photos of mouldy hay incase anyone suspects their hay might be bad! Mine had a funky smell to it (sort of like diluted rabbit pee), and it felt quite waxy.

The black spots are most definitely mould, if you see that on your hay please do not feed it to your rabbits!!8AFE66B8-51E0-42F1-8D99-2BC9AAA71D81.jpeg14C1C85B-DABF-4A75-A972-DBB1F9120EC9.jpegFEB06E6D-AF1B-4368-95DA-FC51814FA9BA.jpegFEA49431-EB11-4978-B460-D0CA826FCA32.jpeg

How do you store your hay? usually its how we keep our hay supply thats why it gets molds. I used to get those black spots before, I learned to always transfer the hay to a different container and put some silica gel in it (make sure they wont eat this!).

We got this big plastic storage container, we dont keep it locked close though 'cause hay needs to be able to breathe, and had a bunch of silica gels from japanese snacks (lol) all fresh hay every since

How do you store your hay? usually its how we keep our hay supply thats why it gets molds. I used to get those black spots before, I learned to always transfer the hay to a different container and put some silica gel in it (make sure they wont eat this!).

We got this big plastic storage container, we dont keep it locked close though 'cause hay needs to be able to breathe, and had a bunch of silica gels from japanese snacks (lol) all fresh hay every since
Yes! I store my hay in an Ikea bag (easy store transport with minimal mess haha) in a big plastic storage container with no lid as well. The mould was visible before I had opened the bag and I’d only brought it home for a few days so I think it was like that from the store. I’ve seen black mould spots in hay in stores before o_O

Yes! I store my hay in an Ikea bag (easy store transport with minimal mess haha) in a big plastic storage container with no lid as well. The mould was visible before I had opened the bag and I’d only brought it home for a few days so I think it was like that from the store. I’ve seen black mould spots in hay in stores before o_O
ohh that also happened to me before! but instead of molds, it was full on insects! They said they store their hay products in a temperate controlled palace but I highly doubt that :(

I just wanted to share some photos of mouldy hay incase anyone suspects their hay might be bad! Mine had a funky smell to it (sort of like diluted rabbit pee), and it felt quite waxy.

The black spots are most definitely mould, if you see that on your hay please do not feed it to your rabbits!!View attachment 57438View attachment 57439View attachment 57440View attachment 57441
Thanks for that warning. Since my husband is allergic to mold anyway, this is good to keep an eye out for. Sorry you had bought a bad batch and not realize it.

ohh that also happened to me before! but instead of molds, it was full on insects! They said they store their hay products in a temperate controlled palace but I highly doubt that :(
Oh yuck! I also doubt that :/

Thanks for that warning. Since my husband is allergic to mold anyway, this is good to keep an eye out for. Sorry you had bought a bad batch and not realize it.
That’s all good! It is quite unfortunate that I brought it home but luckily the store exchanged the bad bag!

Latest posts

Back