Mother rabbit humping babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunzy

Reaction score
My holland lop rabbit had a litter five weeks ago her babies are all healthy, she just started to hump them is this normal behavior? I don’t know what to do.

Well, can't tell if it falls under "normal", but I wouldn't consider it an average behaviour at that age. Later on, when puberty hits and they establish a hierachy in the group it would be normal to some point.

How is your setup? can the doe get away from the kits, and have the kits a place to go where the doe doesn't follow, like a rather small hidey house, very low shelf etc.? If one of my does would do that I would assume that she's quite agitated or in stress, and would give her some alone time, feeding seperatly so she doesn't have to cpompete with a fluffy horde, and give her more garden time so she can dump pent-up energy by grazing or digging.

Well, can't tell if it falls under "normal", but I wouldn't consider it an average behaviour at that age. Later on, when puberty hits and they establish a hierachy in the group it would be normal to some point.

How is your setup? can the doe get away from the kits, and have the kits a place to go where the doe doesn't follow, like a rather small hidey house, very low shelf etc.? If one of my does would do that I would assume that she's quite agitated or in stress, and would give her some alone time, feeding seperatly so she doesn't have to cpompete with a fluffy horde, and give her more garden time so she can dump pent-up energy by grazing or digging.
I have them in a 30 by 24 cage that is connected to a playpen that she can run in whenever she wants, I let her run around in my backyard for about an hour and she is doing much better with them.

Thanks for responding!😊

Latest posts

Back