Mother rabbit eating fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristen

Reaction score
My female Holland lop gave birth Thurday morning, we have one kit and as far as I can tell she is taking care of it. I came in about 10 minutes ago to clean out her litter box, she was sitting in it pulling out fur so I let her go. I realized she wasnt dropping it, she was in fact eating clumps of fur, I stopped her of course and she has since run around and is now laying down. Why is she doing this? How can I stop this? I cant be home all day to pull fur from her mouth so I'd like to nip this in the butt fast.

All I can think is boredom or lacking something nutrient-wise? My bunny does the same when I groom her if she sees the big pile of fur she will eat it before I stop her.

The same thing happened to my rabbit after she gave birth. It’s interesting

Have you increased your rabbits feed amount and are you free feeding grass hay? They eat at least 3 times as much while nursing(depending on how many babies), so if you haven't increased her food, this could be a possible cause for her attempting to eat her fur. Could also mean she needs more protein or fiber in her diet, as fur ingestion/chewing can sometimes be linked to this.

Other possible reason I can think is that she's pulling fur cause she could be having more babies/contractions and she's just trying to eat it out of confusion.

Have you increased your rabbits feed amount and are you free feeding grass hay? They eat at least 3 times as much while nursing(depending on how many babies), so if you haven't increased her food, this could be a possible cause for her attempting to eat her fur. Could also mean she needs more protein or fiber in her diet, as fur ingestion/chewing can sometimes be linked to this.

Other possible reason I can think is that she's pulling fur cause she could be having more babies/contractions and she's just trying to eat it out of confusion.
Yes her food has been increase and I actually use a smaller corner litter box for all my bunnies hay, and I keep it filled all day for her. I'm gonna keep an eye on her while I'm home and keep checking incase she is having more babies, I really hope she isn't though. Thank you for your help.

Latest posts

Back