Mother rabbit died of myxomotosis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi everyone. this is my first time ever posting so I apologise if I get it all wrong. my Rabbit Peppa had to be euthanized today due to myxomotosis. despite the fact that I am over run with emotions right now I am also in a predicament. she has left behind eight 3 week old babies. the vet never really explained much and I can't seem to find much on Google but what I was wondering is can the babies catch it from her or does it need to be passed on by a mosquito? I've disinfected the cage they are in and cleaned around the area but I'm now panicked that the babies will get it. I will be taking them to the vets for a check up in a couple of days(the only time I could get in) but until then is there anything I should be doing or do I just wait and see? thank you.

Hello, welcome to the forum. I’m so sorry for the loss of your bunny.

‘Myxomatosis is caused by the myxoma virus, a poxvirus spread between rabbits by close contact and biting insects such as fleas and mosquitoes.’ RSPCA

So it is a possibility that the babies could have it. I wouldn’t fret too much about that yet. At 3 weeks, babies are still very dependent on their mums and ate suckling often. How to Raise Orphan Baby Rabbits

Hi, I think chances are high that they have it already, it could take up to two weeks when they start showing symptoms, I am sorry about your loss

Hello, welcome to the forum. I’m so sorry for the loss of your bunny.

‘Myxomatosis is caused by the myxoma virus, a poxvirus spread between rabbits by close contact and biting insects such as fleas and mosquitoes.’ RSPCA

So it is a possibility that the babies could have it. I wouldn’t fret too much about that yet. At 3 weeks, babies are still very dependent on their mums and ate suckling often. How to Raise Orphan Baby Rabbits
thank you! hopefully when we go to the vet they will be able to do something to prevent it getting worse.

Hi, I think chances are high that they have it already, it could take up to two weeks when they start showing symptoms, I am sorry about your loss
thank you! hopefully when we go to the vet they will be able to do something to prevent it getting worse. I don't want to see them sick too. it was so odd because last night before I went to bed she was fine but this morning I woke up and she wasn't so we went straight to the vet. I've never had a rabbit with myxo so I just assumed she had conjunctivitis and expecting to come home with cream so it was a very big shock.

In England we have vaccinations for myxomatosis. I’m not sure if you do in Australia. But if they are okay, I’d try to get those done.

Oh no! I'm so sorry for your loss! The babies probably have it ☹. I would follow the link that Apollo's Slave sent to find out the best way to feed the babies. Good luck! Can you send pictures of the babies?

Oh no! I'm so sorry for your loss! The babies probably have it ☹. I would follow the link that Apollo's Slave sent to find out the best way to feed the babies. Good luck! Can you send pictures of the babies?
thank you.
I'm devastated at the thought of them also having it. I have always done everything to prevent them getting it but I guess sometimes you can only do so much. I will put some pictures up I'll just try and figure it out lol

thank you.
I'm devastated at the thought of them also having it. I have always done everything to prevent them getting it but I guess sometimes you can only do so much. I will put some pictures up I'll just try and figure it out lol
obviously they don't live in this basket lol. I just put them in it to cart them places when needed as it's easier.

Attachments

• 20200406_202748.jpg
    20200406_202748.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 10
just a little update. 7 of the 8 babies died. I don't know how myxomatosis works but the babies were showing no obvious sign of it it was like they just simply died. so the last little bun that we have left is going super well and seems very healthy.

Latest posts

Back