more mini rex critique

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
Somewhat better pictures of Twix who is also Mocha's granddaughter:
DSCN0088.jpg

DSCN0093.jpg

This is our newer buck Ashige:

Very nice coat and broad head but I think a little long in the body.
DSCN0106.jpg

DSCN0103.jpg

Back feet a little far forward

DSCN0102.jpg

DSCN0105.jpg

DSCN0104.jpg

Better pics of Mocha from his breeder:
mocha2.jpg

Mocha1.jpg

Kita out of Twix x Mocha:
A bit against posing still
DSCN0080.jpg

DSCN0085.jpg

DSCN0086.jpg

DSCN0081.jpg

I kept this doe to see how she'd turn out and I'm not happy. She's only 14 weeks and 3.4lbs so do you think she'll improve after she fill out a bit more? She's still being culled either way but I have someone interested in her for 4-h showing.

Tsuya out of Twix x Ashige:
DSCN0094.jpg

DSCN0096.jpg

DSCN0097.jpg

I love this kit. She's only 3 weeks old and I'm hoping she doesn't change too much as she grows. Amazing coat so far. I've never held anything so fuzzy.

I am no mini rex breeder but this is what i think?
Twix wow is she molting? I think she looks long in the shoulders but i like her midsection and hindquarter.

Ashige definately long in the shoulder and midsection. His back feet are also a little to close for my liking.

I like Mocha in the first pic. in the second her back feet are a little far forward which makes her look like she slides off in the midsection. She could also use a little more depth to balance her ear length. Im not sure if she looks a little long in the shoulders

It looks like she got her dads feet. They are too close together. Shes more oblong i dont think she will improve.

Tsuya i like her. check her hind feet. she looks pinched as well.

I'm thinking Twix just hasn't grown back her coat yet since she went nuts pulling fur for 3 separate nests around the cage before giving birth to the single kit 3 weeks ago. I seem to have that "problem" with my does. Another doe plucked her hindquarters nearly bald filling the nestbox a little more every day for a week straight even after the kits were born. They do make some warm quality nests though lol

haha its ok I had a doe who pulled 80% of her coat. She used to be sunburned until she did that! Then a nice chocolate coat came in later.

So my current plan is to breed Mocha to my 2 blue does, Ashige to Twix, and keep the best offspring from each doe. Then breed that generation to the opposite buck (or maybe just all of them back to Ashige) and each other and keep the best does. At that point we'll do a whole herd evaluation and cull the bottom half before getting a new broken chocolate buck or broken black carrying chocolate. Definitely with better shoulders. This will probably take up the next 1-2 years.

Everyone is really long throughout the body, narrow in the midsection, low & long in the shoulders. ;)

Honestly...if I were you I'd look for better stock to breed. You could save all that hard work of 1-2 years and have outstanding animals within the next several months. ;)

Emily

I don't have the money to start over with $100 rabbits and these rabbits have won or are from rabbits that have won in the area so they are by no means the bottom of the barrel. The blue does have better type and then there's that little black doe. What I'm lacking is a good buck. I also think it's a good learning experience to work your way up and learn hands on rather than buying in. I learned that Twix and Mocha are a bad combination but Twix and Ashige have some promise and got a better eye for shoulder and body length. I also learned it's much easier to see things through a camera so when I'm ready to get another buck I'm taking the camera with. I'll get to the $100 rabbits at my own pace. I just need some feedback on the way.

You don't need $100 stock to have good stock. The most I have spent on my stock is $20. Look on CL I have found almost all my stock on there and they are all at least good quality. I have some that are Really good Quality. My Broken Black MR Buck Rhett, who won BOB and RIS at WIF, was only $10. So you don't have to spend a ton of money to have good stock.

I am going to be having a litter born soon. If I get a good broken Choc. Buck I can let you know.

Crystal

$20 for good stock wow??????? I spent about $130 for our starting stock of MR.When you go to top breeders who have good reputation you're going to pay a little bit more. I got Lucy first and then realized she had sloped off hindquarters and slightly longer ears so then we got a buck with good HQ and another doe with good balance. I agree with akane, you can't just buy "winning" rabbits it's a lot more beneficial for you to just work with what you have. Who knows, you may have a phenomenal kit out of your first litter. I wish you the best of luck akane, but I would get another or swap out for one rabbit with better shoulders.

I would have to know what I'm looking for before I could go find deals rather than just going to the top breeders and paying a lot. I'm not going to know what I'm looking for until I've handled what I'm not looking for and spent time learning.

Well I think you have somewhat of an eye seeing as how you knew that the little black one was better than the blue. thats a great start. And that you found out one of your does paired with your buck came out with better offspring. whenever i find this out I try to replace the doe that isnt such a good compliment. There are many mini rex out there and I think if you go around shows and see whats for sale. Ask the seller what they do and dont like about that rabbit or why they're selling it, i think that helped me. Ive been seeing tons of minirex for sale in texas. Hopefully Iowa is that lucky too.
And if you find someone that has an opinion you hold high, get to know that person it never hurts :)

Don't overlook buying from youth breeders. I have got some very nice stock from them when I started and the prices are not usally as high as open breeders.

That happened with me. I bought my broken blackMR buck, Rhett, for $10 and he took BOB MR and RIS at WIF in 4H and took 2nd place broken mr buck(is this BOSV?) WIF open and he won first for fur both shows. I understand that sometimes you have to pay more and I am looking into it for some future stock, I just wanted to point out that even "cheaper" rabbits can do really well. Also yes youth breeders usually are really good and most (at least the ones I know) have really good eyes for good stock. I may be a bit biased being a youthbreeder myself. lol.

Crystal

some of you guys are comparing a 4-H show with an ARBA show, and they are nothing alike. I had lots of first place wins and BOBs, when I was in 4-H...but they don't compare to an arba show

Yeah you don't need to pay 100s of dollars on a rabbit.... I started out with 'crap' with my harlies, I wasted that money. and then I started over. I looked up lots of breeders, talked to them exc.... I found a breeder that almost everyones lines go back to, and volia they have the best rabbits for the cheapest. Lots of my stock is now from them and I know they're a lot better.

Go to shows, learn what you are looking for with the breed. I had MR at one point, the breeders are VERY helpful and there are TONS of them. Tell people you're getting started and a lot of times they'll get you started with a trio or something that compliments each other. Yeah sometimes its a bit more, but in the long run its going to be cheaper.

Just really find people and ask questions and learn what you're looking for =)

Latest posts

Back