Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aspen’sbuns

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently in my gap year, and have decided I am going to build my bunnies a new house. I have three mini lops.

I would love to be able to get more bunnies, so I was considering building a double enclosure, sort of like the one on it’s a bunderful life’s Instagram where the bunnies wouldn’t be able to see each other

each set of buns would have plenty of room and all receive bountiful amounts of attention.

Is this a silly idea?? I need some advice from fellow bun owners

Thanks guys!

Well, not sure what a "gap year" is. First thought is, every bunny is a commitment for 10+years. I can deal with that, I'm almost 50, have my own house and meadow, and I'm not planning to go anywhere, apart from trips when I pay a teenager to care for the rabbits.

Why should they not see each other? Granted,m it's a good idea to have double wire between groups so they can't bite each other noses, but my 3 pairs pretty much ignore each other, apart from 2 does that do staring duells through the fence now and then.

Well, not sure what a "gap year" is. First thought is, every bunny is a commitment for 10+years. I can deal with that, I'm almost 50, have my own house and meadow, and I'm not planning to go anywhere, apart from trips when I pay a teenager to care for the rabbits.

Why should they not see each other? Granted,m it's a good idea to have double wire between groups so they can't bite each other noses, but my 3 pairs pretty much ignore each other, apart from 2 does that do staring duells through the fence now and then.
Oops, sorry!! I forget everyone is not an Aussie, and that we all have different terms.
Here in Australia, a gap year is a year we take off of study, after finishing year 12, but before starting university. Most students will do one. Often it will be for travel, but due to coronavirus, I am working currently full time. Although we have very very very minimal cases here, travel is precarious as one case can cause state borders to shut, so it’s not likely I’ll be travelling anywhere far any time soon anyway

While it’s possible I will go to uni at some point, at this point I intend on starting it next year online at this point, if I do at all. I also don’t plan on moving anywhere until I can take my bunnies with me

I only said about them not seeing each other, as an attempt to reduce any risk of affecting any bonds :)

Hi, just wanted to warn you it is very hard to stop adding new rabbits and then you realize you have too many and must work for them and getting tired, and it is not short thing if you are now 18 ask yourself where will you be when you are 28, hopefully pandemic will be long gone by then and you will be able to travel and all.
The other question you just ask yourself why. You have 3 bunnies already, you want more, will you be buying them or rescuing them or breeding them, if you will be breeding them it's a whole lot different entertainment and think what will you be doing with the babies, will you be raising them or eating them or else. Or will you be neutering and bonding them. Intact rabbits are not easy to bond together and you may need plenty of room, maybe you have and happy to clean all after them, I don't know your hobbies, some people just like cleaning, or the fumes.
You can post some pics of your bunnies here we love pics and will be able to criticize better

Last edited:
Hi, just wanted to warn you it is very hard to stop adding new rabbits and then you realize you have too many and must work for them and getting tired, and it is not short thing if you are now 18 ask yourself where will you be when you are 28, hopefully pandemic will be long gone by then and you will be able to travel and all.
The other question you just ask yourself why. You have 3 bunnies already, you want more, will you be buying them or rescuing them or breeding them, if you will be breeding them it's a whole lot different entertainment and think what will you be doing with the babies, will you be raising them or eating them or else. Or will you be neutering and bonding them. Intact rabbits are not easy to bond together and you may need plenty of room, maybe you have and happy to clean all after them, I don't know your hobbies, some people just like cleaning, or the fumes.
You can post some pics of your bunnies here we love pics and will be able to criticize better
Hi! I do understand the dangers with always wanting more bunnies 🤣
I am currently 18, and will be 19 at the end of the year.
I would hope that if I was to get more bunnies, I would be able to rescue them. I definitely wouldn’t breed them, and certainly couldn’t even imagine eating them! Any bunny I have would be desexed, as my three currently are. I also completely understand the difficulties with bunnies relationships bonding wise too :)

Latest posts

Back