more bonding confusion.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoggyForest

Reaction score
OK... so Bandit & Havyn (a.k.a. Katmir because she looks like a meerkat when she stands up?!) are bonding well I THiNk.
We have to go on a trip in like 1-2 weeks, so we were wondering if we could bring them.
yes, I know I JUST made a post asking why B was pulling H's fur out. But now that's COMPLETELY stopped.
I guess territory and pecking order are no longer matters. All that is left is this:
-=-
GOOD THINGS -
-We left H in the house (B's territory) ALL NIGHT LONG. she didn't poop ANYWHERE besides B's LB.
-they like to lounge together.
-they will eat carrots, salads, and 'nanas together.
-He will groom her. She will groom him.
-She is very calm and playful. A bit of wire chewing around the house, but the prob was quickly fixed.
-she actually doesn't chew that much.
-They like to explore together.
-=-
BAD THINGS -
-They do some fair amounts of ignoring. I may be putting this in bad, even though its supposed to be GOOD, but its still kinda weird.
-B has a thing where he'll eat his food, then turn around, scare H away, and eat her food.
-When one is in the litterbox, and the other wants to get in, they get the first one out to come in.
(Is the LB supposed to be big enough so they can both be in at once? I've had this LB from IKEA, and H is the size of a smallish cat. Let me know if we should switch.
I need something that can fit in this LB enclosure.)

-=-

Are my buns bonded, and could they go on a trip of FL -> GA in a large RV? They are litter trained, & don't chew that much.

Thanks so much for reading 💕
(Also do I feed the buns separately or together...?)

I always recommend at least one litterbox a rabbit when having a bonded pair.
Some bunnies tend to be really territorial about their litterboxes, so they if they have any squabbles then they each have their own.
I'd say at least one of those per rabbit, they're on the small side and I'd recommend something bigger like a storage tub each.
Covered litterboxes, in my opinion, is a big no. They don't provide nearly enough ventilation for bunny's sensitive noses, and they only have one enterance. Since rabbits are prey animals, it can make them feel extremely trapped.
I'd say to use something like two under-bed storage containers so they each have enough room.

Food squabbles are normal, and fully bonded bunnies will do it.

I'd say it would be much too stressful for the bunnies and it'd be best to leave them at home with a pet sitter such as a family member or friend.

Hope this helped! :)

Generally, the rule of thumb is to not move newly bonded rabbits to a new territory until they have fully bonded (couple weeks in one area 24/7 with no issues). So my first thought was to suggest leaving them home. However, that would also mean that they would either have to be kept separate for the pet sitter's sake or have the pet sitter monitor them to allow them together.

When you mentioned an RV, it made me wonder. Is it an RV where the driver and passengers have access to the rest of the rig while driving, or is it a travel trailer? How are the rabbits with riding in a vehicle? If they can be in a confined space in the RV (access available) during travel and they do ok with travelling, it is possible that the trip could be beneficial. You'd still have to bunny proof the interior (just as one should at home). If you have slide-outs, those areas behind must be blocked off too.

With bonded rabbits, the litter box should be large enough for both rabbits to easily fit together. I've had many rabbit pairs over the decades and eventually settled into having one large litter box. I also use one food dish. Since they only get their limited pellets once per day, I give them their food in the one dish (right before bed since I prefer to close them in their enclosure at night). They both eat out of the dish at the same time until it is gone. Eating together is a bonding thing too.

On a side note, you mentioned them eating carrots and bananas together. Just wanted to be sure that they aren't getting too much of either of those. Both are considered treats and so should be limited. A 1" slice of either of those per rabbit should be the max per day. You may already know this but wanted to mention it just in case (and for others who may read this thread).

[large litter box that fits 2 rabbits]
1632505671280.jpeg

[Found an old pic of a pair sharing their pellet food.]
1632505877791.jpeg

Last edited:
Generally, the rule of thumb is to not move newly bonded rabbits to a new territory until they have fully bonded (couple weeks in one area 24/7 with no issues). So my first thought was to suggest leaving them home. However, that would also mean that they would either have to be kept separate for the pet sitter's sake or have the pet sitter monitor them to allow them together.

When you mentioned an RV, it made me wonder. Is it an RV where the driver and passengers have access to the rest of the rig while driving, or is it a travel trailer? How are the rabbits with riding in a vehicle? If they can be in a confined space in the RV (access available) during travel and they do ok with travelling, it is possible that the trip could be beneficial. You'd still have to bunny proof the interior (just as one should at home). If you have slide-outs, those areas behind must be blocked off too.

With bonded rabbits, the litter box should be large enough for both rabbits to easily fit together. I've had many rabbit pairs over the decades and eventually settled into having one large litter box. I also use one food dish. Since they only get their limited pellets once per day, I give them their food in the one dish (right before bed since I prefer to close them in their enclosure at night). They both eat out of the dish at the same time until it is gone. Eating together is a bonding thing too.

On a side note, you mentioned them eating carrots and bananas together. Just wanted to be sure that they aren't getting too much of either of those. Both are considered treats and so should be limited. A 1" slice of either of those per rabbit should be the max per day. You may already know this but wanted to mention it just in case (and for others who may read this thread).

[large litter box that fits 2 rabbits]
View attachment 57710

[Found an old pic of a pair sharing their pellet food.]
View attachment 57711
Thank you for replying! Yes, I am giving the buns treats in moderation. Havyn is already fat enough anyways🤣
The bunnies are good being in a car/moving vehicle. They are totally fine with it, in a cage, or on a blanket, or whatever.
I do want to keep the bunnies happy and healthy. We are going to GA to visit family. A relative came to visit once and LOVED bandit soooo much. He's the kind of person that would treat a bun well! Coming with them in an RV, I thought, might be a good idea; show the relatives what having a bun is like, and help them finish the bonding process by going places together. They do well with traveling, so I thought I might do a confined space like an exercise pen. Odyssey~ said that it might be stressful for the buns, so I've been doubting bringing them; but every petsitter we've had keeps them outside in a little cage. I thought this might be bad for them now that they're bonded and together.
Yes, the RV has driver access, but the buns would be penned off.
About the litterbox - I can see that you used a clear tub. Odyssey~ recommended this too. I think I'll do that!

ONE MORE QUESTION...
Havyn doesn't know how to drink from a bottle. How to we train her to drink from a bottle and not a bowl? the reason is because Bandit gets chin infections when he drinks from a bowl, and I want them to be able to share.

Latest posts

Back