Monthly/Yearly Budget for Large Rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might pay around $20 a month in a typical month by getting things in bulk from feed stores. Pet stores tend to overprice things that you can get cheaper (and even better quality) elsewhere.

Pellets - I get a 15lb or 25lb bag of plain pellet feed. This lasts a couple months for a single rabbit, even a large breed. Gotta keep an eye on expiration dates.
Hay - I get a bale from feed store and bag it up, store it in a dry place. About $15 per bale.
Bedding - I get horse stall pine pellets for around $7 per 40lb bag at feed stores.

This is just for the ongoing necessities. You'll need to pay for other things like bowl/bottle, housing, etc. and if anything comes up.

Wow your budgets are pretty impressive! I only have her two weeks now and she's 10 week old lionhead/dwarf mix.

On day one I bought 2 kg Burgess nuggets because it was what she was getting before and she's happy with them I give her a handful about twice a day and she has lots of fresh timothy hay (I think it is just some mixed hay but there's timothy on the package too) in and near her corner toilet I've got on day 1 too but still have more than half nuggets and more than half hay so I think 2kg nuggets she will eat in a month or 6 weeks, hay should be fine for a month too I believe, I don't know, she doesn't eat that much she is active and eats her hay with a great appetite and greens too, I think she's good she's not that hungry hungry.

She uses her toilet properly, first day I've covered all floor in her cage with hay but she moved it to one side and made one corner just totally free of hay so now she only has her hay in her corner toilet and some hanging over it, for the toys I made some toys and she likes them, I used brown bags, rolls from paper towels, I made her hide from pressed paper used for mango fruits I've got from the supermarket for free and she also likes cardboard boxes and I made some toys off cardboard too. She likes this small linen towel I gave her, I didn't buy it I had an old one.

What else. I bought her a water bottle and a toy sweeper with dust pan for 1.50 like this - green one - she loves it :)) I sweep her cage floor once or twice a day and she is helping all the time :)) and she keeps it clean. The only thing I am not happy about is that I am not using absorbing granules for her toilet and it actually smells I have to clean her toilet every night, but it's quite easy just removing the hay and rinse it from urine, dry and put everything back, add some fresh hay. I have to learn more about it, hopefully in a couple weeks it'll be better I keep learning :))

I want to use her poop as natural fertiliser in my garden, I am growing some herbs and vegetables, beans and berries and from what I've read already bunny berries are excellent, I forgot about that but now I have a lot of them and it's great! :))

I think she's happy too :))

s-l1000.jpg

Medium-Non-Drip-Water-Bottle-for-Rabbit-Guinea.jpg
images

SAM_0055.JPG

Can't upload video for some reason maybe next time

Poopy Poo, if you put some wood pellets (not shavings but pellets) under the hay in the litter box, it won't get so smelly so quickly. You will be able to go several days between cleaning out the box.

Poopy Poo, if you put some wood pellets (not shavings but pellets) under the hay in the litter box, it won't get so smelly so quickly. You will be able to go several days between cleaning out the box.
Got the pellets from pets store yesterday so very happy now, thank you! The only one of my rabbits was trying to eat them first but now it's heaven, no smell at all :))

Latest posts

Back