Mommy rabbit is still nursing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haharabbits

Reaction score
When should baby rabbits stop nursing? My baby rabbits are about 5 weeks old right now and I still can’t identify their genders so I’m not sure when to separate them yet. Please let me know!

When should baby rabbits stop nursing? My baby rabbits are about 5 weeks old right now and I still can’t identify their genders so I’m not sure when to separate them yet. Please let me know!
They normally stop nursing around 7-8 weeks, sometimes a bit longer or shorter you don't need to do anything. You can try identify their genders now but sometimes it's not easy to see, when they will grow a bit will be easier.

You will need to separate boys at 10 weeks so still plenty of time.

Girls can stay with mother, just boys need to be separated.

What breed are your rabbits, are they home pets or else?

Testicles are not seen in boys until they drop at around 10-12 weeks, sometimes later. So you can use these pictures for sexing your babies. Sometimes it is obvious you can see clear donut and you are sure it's a boy. But sometimes they can look a bit like a girl. I would suggest keep looking every week after they are 8 weeks and by 10 weeks you should be able to find and separate all boys

Sexing rabbit pictures
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/sexing-rabbit-pictures.44936/

Sometimes they nurse up to 4 months. Funny sight. Stuffed nestbox with bunny parts sticking out everywhere and at every angle :D. Minimum should be 8 weeks, if feasable. In an emergency they can be weaned at 4 weeks.

An emergency means if mother rabbit has some health problems or had another litter and she can't nurse both. That would be pretty bad situation, but if she keeps nursing her 5 week old babies please don't take them from her, let them be with mother until she stops naturally, well at 10 weeks separate boys since they can get her pregnant again, baby girls can be fertile from about 14 weeks. Girls can stay with mother for longer, sometimes for life but some of girls will get hormonal when it's time and can start fights, usually between 5 and 8 months. Then you will have to separate fighters and maybe get them fixed, or I don't know your plans if you want to rehome babies usually good time would be after 8 weeks.

Latest posts

Back