Momma trampling babies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Venessa

Reaction score
I am brand new to the breeding aspect of rabbits. The only issue I have had is that the mother's trample their young. The bunnies we're 1 month old. Is there any thing I can do to prevent this?

Can you give a little more information? Is the doe doing it in the nestbox or while the kits are out and about? What breed?

We never had a big problem with this. I had a Himalayan that was very stressed out and was stepping on the kits. We also had a Brit who abandoned her kits and then kept running over them...obviously not a good mom (and got rid of her). At 4 weeks your kits aren’t newborns anymore...if it looks like your doe is doing it intentionally or doesn’t seem to care that she’s doing it, you probably shouldn’t breed her again.

She is a two year old Californian. They were out of the nest at 20 days. She is a Very caring mother, I don't believe she'd do it on purpose.

Make sure the space that mom and the kits are in is big enough so the kits and/or mom can get away from each other. Once kits were getting out of the nestbox we would turn it on it’s side so the doe could get away from the kits...they can be pretty persistent when they want to nurse.

Latest posts

Back