Momma Rabbit Chewed Off Kits Ears??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BirchGroveRabbits

Reaction score
One of my Mini Lop Does kindled a litter last night. I checked on them right after and everyone was looking great! I went back out this afternoon and almost all had either one or both ears chewed off. I know that does sometimes kill/eat their kits (One of my other does was pulled from the breeding program because of that) but I've never really heard of chewing off body parts... The momma has had a litter before, and even though it was her first she cared for them very well! No chewing or biting! I just need some answers about everything... Should the kits be okay? Do you think this will become a habit? What should I do now?

That's pretty common. Might become habit. Might not. I count it as a strike against them, breeding wise - three strikes or three failed litters and they're out. The does will think the ears (or sometimes toes) are leftover afterbirth and try to "clean" it off of them. They call it overcleaning. The kits do fine without the ears, but can't be shown.

Latest posts

Back