Momma only had one surviving kit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JV15

Reaction score
I have a netherland dwarf with only on surviving kit I have a Polish that has 3 kits one day older. Should I foster this one kit to the Polish?

If it’s been less than a week or so since they were born then you shouldn’t have a problem fostering. Are you concerned the dwarf might not take care of it?

Yes, the baby should foster seamlessly. Like @majorv said, babies within a week of age can usually be fostered without an issue! Overfeeding or freezing are common problems with a singleton - keep an eye on this one if you try to raise it alone.

I have had success in the past hand raising a singleton kit when I had no other available litters to foster it to, but I do not encourage it if you have other options available as it takes a lot of effort to raise by itself. The chances of it surviving are slim. Since it is alone, I prefer to remove it from mom to keep it from wandering out of the nest / chilling, overfeeding, or getting eaten (when a newborn, if the mother has instincts it may not survive she will cannibalize). Have scheduled feedings when you put in with the doe or help nurse (2x per day). You can keep singletons in a box / container of some sort with hay, tissue, lint, mama's fur, cotton balls, etc. to keep it warm. Heat lamps can be used also. I use a combination of the above... once they grow fur and open eyes, they are typically out of the danger zone. Once they start exploring and hopping around, you can return to mom at around 3 weeks old depending on individual progress. Best of luck!!

Here is a pic of a singleton baby we hand raised about a year ago (such a handsome little boy, don't you think?):
Screenshot_20191009-211814_Photos.jpg

I’ve had two singleton kits in two different litters before. The mom took still took care of him, if I thought otherwise, then I just would let him nurse on her.

Latest posts

Back