Mom Creating excess Cecotrophs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aurora369

Reaction score
I've noticed that Wildfire has been producing lots of excess cecotrophs, and leaving them around the cage. EEeewww, gross!!

I vaguely remember reading that the moms are supposed to produce more so the babies can eat them. But the babies aren't eating them, they're just getting smushed into the floor.

Should I be looking into changing Wildfire's diet or is this normal?

--Dawn

PS: The babies where born Jan 23, and are almost 3 weeks old

And here's some pictures of them, to help you diagnose... *wink wink*

Mom:
IMG_1484.jpg

And most recent pics of babies:
PicsFeb112006059.jpg

PicsFeb112006058.jpg

PicsFeb112006062.jpg

PicsFeb112006072.jpg

--Dawn

Those are some promising looking Castors... cute too!

I wouldn't be too worried about it, it could be that they are still mostly nursing from mom and only starting to nibble on solids. I noticed that this happens with my does too... but by the time the babies are 5 weeks old, it is almost completely back to normal.

Hi SunnieBunnie,

I'm not overl concerned, it's just a bit stinky, lol. I was just wondering if I need to change Wildfire's diet at all, because I don't remember this happening with her last litter.

You really think my little guys look promising? I think they are just the cutest little monsters right now, and it would be awsome if some of them are showable.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back