Molting!!!!!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliew19673

Reaction score
My poor bunny molts every month and a half and it is just Heck! Realize it's his breed and not alot that can be done but COME ON!!! Probably worse as Bax has to live in an apartment in Los Angeles and not in a house a/outdoor room to live out his molt.. Furry molting bunny not a happy pet - we're both irritated during this time.. Poor guy..

Baxter might be confusing his seasons. His body recognizes it is winter---or for what passes for winter in CA. and it also recognizes he is in a house most of the time. Are you feeding too much protein---have you thought about fur mites. Is there a lot of flakey dandruff in the fur he looses. That is a fair indication of mites. He might need a couple of doses of Ivermectin---that will clear up mites and any internal parasites. Just MHO

Bo does this sometimes also. I've found that I either have to brush him and ruin his coat (it gets uneven) or try to get as much off of him gently with my hands/rubber flat back of a zoom groom.

I give Bo a black oil sunflower seed or two every day and that has helped a LOT! and I keep a fleece blanket in his cage where he lays and it actually attracts some of the fur off his belly mostly..... Think corduroy and things like that...... what would you wear that would be covered in fur LOL!

So funny - I keep a fleece blanket throw on top of my comforter and of does attract/trap his belly fur when he molts - may just put it in his pen for molting. He does not have any flakey skin and his molts are almost on a schedule such as a womans "cycle".. Is this wrong? I've been militant for the last 2 months and have cut all sugar treats from his diet other than on weekends when he has more outside time. Diet is timothy hay/timothy pellets and greens breakfast and dinner. Think it's his breed - english hot toy and or Rex mix.

my standard black otter rexes moult - always from the neck down until they look like they are wearing ballet skirts. if we are spending some quality bun time together their fine fur makes my face and eyes itch badly.:cry1: to help the moulting along i use a lint roller - the kind you buy for clothes. i roll it over my own clothes to reduce the tackiness then roll it over the bunnies , shoulder to tail. they seem to prefer this to a brush - they dont hop off in a strop after attacking it:D

LOL! I just posted someplace that I do that same thing with the lint roller.

Bo actually thinks it's some sort of massage tool or something now LOL! (BUTT RUBS!)

and Tony sat for at least an hour while I gently brushed him last night....... I had enough fur for a few baby bunnies! :shock:

About molting...

Do Dutch rabbits molt much? I'm curious to know what I might expect as Mika and Sasha get older. Does it matter if they're male or female in regards to molting??

Each one is different mostly. Their diet, environment, and all that can affect it. I think mini-rex just molt a lot cause of the type of fur they have.

So, what triggers molting? Winter?
We had a really mild November here in NY and it didn't start to get cold till December. Kirby molted a good month and a half at least. He finally stopped last week. Kirby's a satin mix. Super smooth short fur - don't rexes have short smooth fur? How often do you think he'd molt? Kirby is less happy when he's molting. He didn't binky as much the whole time.

Bo B Bunny - am so glad im not the only one using lint roller for my bunnies!:D

they dont seem to moult with the weather - they are outdoor bunnies who live in the shed at night. they see their vet regularly and have no other problems - he's very happy with their care. it just seems to be a bunny thing, tho the grooming is good for bonding:D

It works great if you pre-roll it a little and then I like to just go over the tips of Bo's hair - it gets the loose ones.

kirbyultra wrote:
So, what triggers molting? Winter?
We had a really mild November here in NY and it didn't start to get cold till December. Kirby molted a good month and a half at least. He finally stopped last week. Kirby's a satin mix. Super smooth short fur - don't rexes have short smooth fur? How often do you think he'd molt? Kirby is less happy when he's molting. He didn't binky as much the whole time.
I really do not think weather has anything to do with it; when I first got Baxter! he was very malnourished and dehydrated; weighed about 4 lbs when his actual weight is now 8.5; he did not molt for the first 6 months - but now that he is healthy a year later (it is his gotcha month) he molts every month and a half for about 3 weeks.. Lint rollers are fantastic as is taking him outside and "shimmy shake" the fur loose with my hands.. He likes this to a point (he thinks its a silly game)..

Snuff is starting to molt too, I think it should be our way of "knowing" Spring is coming!:p I take him out on the picnic table and just pull loads of fur off. Best with a tiny breeze, lol. You will be amazed at what amount comes off! I find, if a nice slightly, breezy day exists with a bun in a molt, we got outside and pull off hair. He loves it, makes him feel better too. He's moody when he's moulting, I've heard others say the same thing.;)

(Season changes cause the moults most of the time.;))

It's going to be nice enough to take mine out tomorrow YAY! Tony needs a good brushing! Today we have to do Pokie and her stall..... the farrier is coming..... but the bunnies get grooming tomorrow...... Bo won't be too bad.... he's through the biggest part of his molt now thank God!

Liffey had a huge molt in december where he literally had patches of long fur and patches of short fur. he looked so pathetic. but just this last week he started again. but i'm also slowing switching over his food since he's almost a year old now. right now he gets half alfalfa and half timothy pellots.....working our way to timothy. what is this black sunflower seed oil?? also are there other foods that should be given during the molt to ease the stress? although liff doesn't get too stressed by the molt. he just runs around more and is more lovie whenyou pick him up.

It is black oil sunflower seeds. You can find them in bird feed sections of stores.

Only give one or two per day for molting/fur......... and then I go to one or two per 3 or 4 days IF THAT.... when Bo isn't molting.

Latest posts

Back