Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hope everybun is fine!

during this molting season i observe strange phenomena - in some parts the old fur won't go and any my efforts to remove it are unsuccessful - normally i use just fingers to delicately remove bunches of fur and only one type of comb, the most effective and acceptable for my bun. But now i am trying combs of 3 various types and only minimal amount of hairs come out, while situation remains the same - clumpy islands of fur on hip area which obviously irritate my bun. Usually he enjoys grooming and some combing but these days he cannot sustain it even for 20 seconds. It is as if the molting stopped midway.
Has it occurred to anyone else? Is it possible that some important components in food are lacking? We have a balanced diet and during last two months the quality even improved because i found a better supplier.

I actually find it unusual for a molt to happen all at once -- that'd be so hectic!

What you're describing is what my rabbit goes through regularly, which is releasing fur in patches. So I may have 3 days in a row I can pull out big chunks, and then it will be nothing until a day later or a week later. If no fur is coming off (the "minimal amount"), I wouldn't worry too much about grooming that day. It's important to check every day when new areas decide to "release", but if nothing is happening, the fur isn't ready. That has always been my interpretation, and I haven't run into a poor gut fur ball yet.

I actually find it unusual for a molt to happen all at once -- that'd be so hectic!

What you're describing is what my rabbit goes through regularly, which is releasing fur in patches. So I may have 3 days in a row I can pull out big chunks, and then it will be nothing until a day later or a week later. If no fur is coming off (the "minimal amount"), I wouldn't worry too much about grooming that day. It's important to check every day when new areas decide to "release", but if nothing is happening, the fur isn't ready. That has always been my interpretation, and I haven't run into a poor gut fur ball yet.
Bugs's fur comes out in big chunks also. I can always tell when the fur is ready to be pulled because it starts to look like rex fur. It will leave bald patches occasionally but the fur grows back within a few days. Do you find that you will get a bald patch?

I wouldn't worry too much about grooming that day. It's important to check every day when new areas decide to "release", but if nothing is happening, the fur isn't ready. That has always been my interpretation, and I haven't run into a poor gut fur ball yet.

Oh, thanks so much, John! i already feel relieved. So i will wait until the isles of old fur decide to go:)

Latest posts

Back