Molting/Shedding, or lack of it.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikoli

Reaction score
Ollie is a two year old male neutered Dwarf lop-ish type. He was bought from a pet store in early 2006, if this information helps at all.

Ollie is perfectly healthy - he gets daily excercise, he is very fit, perhaps not the best diet, but certainly acceptable and nothing to worry about. He is shedding continuously. But not a lot. Ever since I got him, his hair has seemed very soft and thick. I could run my fingers through it and emerege with hair coming out, without barely pulling at all. But that was his normal. He's been to the vet, they've noticed it, and all they've said is that he is so soft and cuddly, and there is nothing wrong with him. So, I am persuming that this is the normal for him.

Anyway, I was just reading through some threads and I noticed that someone said that rabbits usually shed/molt every three months. Ollie has had, I guess, two decent molts/sheds where he loses most of his coat. He is going through one now. It is always near Summer or Spring, sometimes early Autumn, when he loses his hair. But not once every three months.

Is this because he usually has such an, umm, soft(?) coat, so he doesn't have all that much hair to lose?

It's not actually a problem, I'm just wondering. At least, I hope it's not a problem. :?

- Rachel.

I think Al Gore should study the effect of Global Warming on rabbits. I haven't had rabbits for years and years, but this year seems quite a bit different.

Everybunny is molting almost continuously. Sometimes it's the traditional mot with all the undercoatcoming out in apattern, sometimes it's just weeks of random tufts and bits.

I tried to bury my face inPipp today and got a huge faceful of hair, and she just finished a molttwo weeks ago. :( (Mind you, last year my mini-rex, Dill, had his hair come out in big patches, this year it's the constant random tufts, so it's all across the board).

Word of caution -- molting bunnies are often grumpy andprone to gas and stasis.My molters get daily pumpkin,a little diluted juice, fewer pellets,more hay and daily brushings.

sas

Pipp, awesome post:hug:.

Snuff, a Holland Lop, has shed this whole last half of the year non-stop.:shock: I was wondering what on earth. Is it the breed? The season? The year? Geez, it was terrible for him this year. Constant hair just coming out like you wouldn't believe:shock:. I was getting concerned about gas, stasis, etc. Nothing doing wrong with him, thank goodness.:)

Keep an eye on his eating habits, activity levels, his water intake. If none of that changes, everything should be fine. You just never know. Also, on the hair loss/shedding/molting, my only other thought is diet. Possibly either something lacking or something just not balanced as the molt/shed season. How many pellets a day and what kind? During molting, hay is the best thing, moreso than any pellets.

Keep us posted though;).

Latest posts

Back