Molting question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollandlopWinslow

Reaction score
I live in Tennessee, US and it’s just started to get below freezing here at night and my bun I think is molting? I hope. It is a TON of fur. Like what you’d expect from shedding a winter coat it’s like a handful every time you pet him. His eating and pottying and behavior are all normal. Is this normal. He shed some during summer but I got him in March so I haven’t had him through winter yet so idk if it’s normal or not. Someone plz help. I may just be paranoid.

Rabbits molt a couple times each year (2-3), including the Fall season time. It is likely a normal molt -- rabbits have a lot of fur!

As long as eating and appetite are normal, I wouldn't be too concerned. Make sure to groom your rabbit daily during a molt as the increased fur consumption from self-grooming can lead to an obstruction.

Attachments

• PXL_20211029_0116523932.jpg
    PXL_20211029_0116523932.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 6
Rabbits molt a couple times each year (2-3), including the Fall season time. It is likely a normal molt -- rabbits have a lot of fur!

As long as eating and appetite are normal, I wouldn't be too concerned. Make sure to groom your rabbit daily during a molt as the increased fur consumption from self-grooming can lead to an obstruction.
Okay. I have a brush. But he hates it. I need something that he will let me brush him with. I wonder if he would let me use one of those silicone glove brushes or something else soft for dogs and cats?

A bare hand can often help quite a bit. Just pet him. As you do, you can gently 'pluck' the loose fur by putting your extended fingers together (think Vulcan hand greeting).

Latest posts

Back