Molting or Health issues?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flopsandmops

Reaction score
I have a Holland Lop named Louie. He shed quite a bit, but he’s been shedding more than usual... I’m worried he has a condition I’m unaware of. He never sheds like this. He seems fine and happy. He doesn’t seem to be lethargic or in pain. He’s as energetic as ever, and he’s eating and drinking well. Is my bun ok???

Attachments

• 6E91BE5E-1717-48E0-A9BD-9B31F86EFF09.jpeg
    6E91BE5E-1717-48E0-A9BD-9B31F86EFF09.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 14
Looks like a normal molt to me, would be good if you help him getting rid of that hair, plucking lose fur off and brushing it out.

Thank you! I was really worried before, and I had come to the conclusion he was fine, but I needed confirmation 😅

What a molt-face, haha. That does appear to be a normal molt. Always good to make sure that all health-related behaviors seem OK too (poop, pee, energy, appetite), as you mentioned.

I remember kinda freaking out when my old bunny lost so much fur on his side that I saw his pink skin. But I heard there is a thing called 'coat blow' when they loose a bunch of fur in one place. As long as they are eating and drinking and pooping everything should be fine.

I would brush my bunny and get a lot of fur off, which was good - better than him getting it in his tummy. My netherland dwarf doesn't like to be brushed. So I gently pull bits of his fur to help him shed so he doesn't get all that fur in his tummy.

I find that they molt different amounts each time. Lucas is going through a particularly bad molt, and it may have led to hair accumulating in his stomach, which landed him in the hospital for three days. He's short haired, so it's harder to notice, but all the buns need all the brushing! 😂 😂

Latest posts

Back