molting? bladder stones?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan223

Reaction score
Hi all,

so the past 2 months of me having my bunny (almost 6 months) have honestly just been a nightmare. the most she's gone without some kind of health issue is literally 1 week. I thought she was drinking super excessively but the vet said it actually seemed ok, but when I get her spayed in 2 weeks they're also gonna run a quick ultrasound because the vet said it's possible she has bladder stones.

she's never had sludgy urine and she's eating and pooping completely normally. she got de-wormed over a week ago so I don't think that's what could be wrong. but i can just tell she's uncomfortable. a lot of the time when i go to check on her she's kind of just sitting there upright. she does loaf too some of the time. i only give her a few pellets a day but she ALWAYS has an appetite for that and critical care, also giving her laxatone bc she's shedding.

she does appear to be shedding a bit right now but her poops aren't strung together with hay. definitely some fur in her poops though. does anyone have ANY IDEA what could be wrong here??????? I'm at such a loss. at this point we've run a urine test, fecal test, and bloodwork all of which came back pretty much normal. But I am 99% sure that something is wrong because she pretty much never flops anymore.

Maybe your bunny is in pain and discomfort for some reason.... they could have GI problems developing... usually it’s recommended to give pellets or either critical care not both on the same day. Critical care may be best to give your bunny for now. Is your current Vet a Exotic Veterinarian that specializes in rabbits and other small animals?

Maybe your bunny is in pain and discomfort for some reason.... they could have GI problems developing... usually it’s recommended to give pellets or either critical care not both on the same day. Critical care may be best to give your bunny for now. Is your current Vet a Exotic Veterinarian that specializes in rabbits and other small animals?
Yes I drove 4 hours to a university with the best friend exotic vets/ equipment in the whole state. I feel like it isn’t GI tho bc she’s eating tons of hay and pooping? I feel like either it’s due to shedding or bladder stones? This is so frustrating

Did they do xrays? How old is she?
she'll be 6 months end of feb. i brought her all the way to this hospital just for the vet to tell me that since her drinking was the only symptom (and vet didn't feel it was actually abnormal, also said blood tests weren't abnormal) that she didn't think xrays and ultrasounds were worth giving her anesthesia for because she was acting pretty much normal. when i brought her in last week though she wasn't looking this uncomfortable. vet gave her ivermectin as well bc she had pinworms in her poop (tested poop too, nothing harmful there)

i'm bringing her in first week of feb for spay/ ultrasound just to make sure nothing's wrong. this is so frustrating and bizarre because she eats so much hay and poops so much every day but i just feel like something is wrong

Did they do xrays? How old is she?
do you think if she had full on bladder stones she'd be in more pain and wouldn't be eating this month? if she has to have her bladder flushed the vet said she'll do it while she's under getting spayed but im so afraid im gonna get hit with a 1300$ surgery on top of her spay, ultrasound, and my car rental to get her to this hospital

OK WAIT. she just did 2 big poops connected by hair. HOPEFULLY HOPEFULLY HOPEFULLY eating hair is what's upsetting her tummy bc she's shedding. just gave some laxatone, gonna stop giving pellets and only give critical care, and will buy pineapple juice tom.

Well if she is molting then that will eventually cause some GI upset/ discomfort. But also bladder stones and sludge can do that too. My own rabbit has bladder sludge problem that is chronic. She occasionally has bouts of G.I. stasis and I have to keep on top of that issue. She’s also on potassium citrate to help with the sludge problem in order for her to not have any G.I. problems.

Potassium citrate can also help with bladder stones to make them dissolve to be able to pass them easier depending on size of the stones. But this medication is usually prescribed for life meaning the bunny can’t stop it. But that is usually because with some rabbits bladder sludge and/or stones are a chronic problem for them and they are more likely to have such problems develop for some unknown reason. Depending on the individual rabbit they be may be more susceptible to such conditions occurring.

I’m surprised the vet did not prescribe that medication if your bunny has bladder stone problem. I’m also surprised the vet did not do x-rays despite them suspecting that there is bladder stones. Usually that’s one of the first steps to investigate what is happening in the bladder. My own rabbit despite her chronic bladder sludge problem her blood work always comes back perfect.

I’m not sure of the area you live but if you’re able to get baby gas drops that’s also good to help with gas that may occur with the G.I. stasis. Keep fighting for your bunny’s well-being and I would say to ask a lot more questions when you visit the Vet at the University next time.

Latest posts

Back