Molly getting spayed on Friday

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasticbunny

Reaction score
Well, I really wanted to hold out before getting Molly spayed because the vet said it will stunt her growth... But I'm just dying to start bonding her with Gus :inlove:.

But of course I'm nervous and worried! Anyone who's been through a spay have any words of wisdom??? Or kind words to soothe an anxious mommy???

My guys were just done on Friday at 3.5months old. Apart from the fact that Lily was a little choked she was seperated from Loki for the weekend (even though it was only nic pannels between them) Everything went great! Looking at them now you would honestly never know anything happened!

Molly is a big girl, everything will go great! It really doesn't stop them from growing much (if anything at all) and the sooner shes done, the less naughty behaviours she learns.

Oh, so good to know! Well, she's almost 8 months, so naughty behavior has come and gone, for the most part :innocent. But I know she'd kick poor Gus's bum if I tried bonding without her spayed. And hopefully her spay with eliminate the occasional urine marking she insists on participating in, lol. Daddy yells at mommy a lot for that one! (He's so tolerent... Never wanted animals and somehow we have 6 ):whistling

My main concern is her eating afterward. I lost a very loved bun to a horrific bout of GI stasis last October, so having them eat regularly is my biggest concern. I wonder if I should ask my vet for some Critical Care, just in case?

My 2 are at the vet overnight tonight since they were spayed and neutered this afternoon. I'll let you know how they're doing when I pick them up tomorrow afternoon.

You can always just grind some pellets up with watter and alfalfa dust if youre worried. Though Critical care is something nice to have on hand... Mind you for what it costs wholesale ($10) vets charge WAYYY to much for it.

Just make sure the clinic staff keep her with food in the kennel before the surgery and after. The vet isn't always available to make sure somebody is offering her food. Send her favourite treats with her. My guys loveeee their herbs and when lily came home she went right for the dill before she would even touch her pellets.

Ask for 1 or 2 doses of oral metacam to take home with you to give her the next day and the day after (lasts 24hrs in their system and most clinics give a metacam injection before the surgery)

Not for bunnies, they need to eat. Metacam the next day to help with pain and swelling is about it. Sometimes the day after that if the bun still seems painful

Its actually better to take your bunnies home after the surgery since A. staff at a clinic aren't there after the clinic closes so nobody is there to keep an eye on your bunny and make sure their eating B. Bunnys eat better in their own environment C. Youre able to check on your bun at night and take bun to an emerge clinic if something happens, whos going to do that at a locked up clinic?

Just stress on the staff about making sure she eats after the surgery while shes in their care. Not all of them may know about that issue for bunnies.

Molly will do fine :)

:) Good luck to both of you. To your bunny : a thousand kisses from Kimiko's family. She will be just fine :)
To Molly's momma : :) I know you're worried. You have every Rights to be worried about her. She's your baby bun :) But she will be ok, more than ok. :hug:
Pls keep up post. I'll keep you guys in my mind the entire day ;)

@ Watermelons: So true! My vet says she'll call for me to get her ASAP, so she can come home and rest in her own quiet space with Gus by her side (through the bars, of course). She does like to stop food for a short time before surgery (like, 1/2 hour or so) to make sure she isn't holding any bits in her cheeks that she could choke on. But I have heard that after a spay, it's good to tempt them with their favourite foods, so I'm sure she'll be eating tonnes of fresh herbs.

@Bunny Parents: Thanks, I'm still so nervous. Not so much about the surgery itself, but with making sure she eats afterwards. I promise to keep you posted.:)

Molly says thank you for the kind words from everyone!

Becky did stop eating after her spay, but she seemed to be more sensitive to the pain even with Metacam. I fed her critical care and pedialyte for a couple days then she was good as ever. By day 3 she was romping with the cat and I had to put her in her cage, talk about thumps and throwing things! I've never seen such a hissy fit.

As long as you keep an eye and feed critical care if needed you shouldn't have any issues. It was almost like she just didn't want to move to get to her food dish just an inch away, but she gladly ate when I fed her. Perhaps she wanted a little extra TLC? :)

We've had 27 done and only one stopped eating but started back up before the day was over and he was the last one we thought we'd have an eating issue with as he absolutely loved food. We made sure they went with food and came back the same. With Serena, you would have never known anything had been done except the bald patch on her belly.

The vet hasn't called yet :(. She said that she would start the spay around noon, and then she would call when Molly was ready to be picked up. It's only 2:49, but I'm WORRIED :shock:. (And foaming at the mouth a little...no, just kidding)

Please don't worry. It takes them a while to come out of the anesthetic. You can call and check in to see how things are going, but my guess is that she's resting and waking up.

The vet JUST called!

She says everything went well, and Molly is just waking up so she's a bit groggy. I can pick her up at 4:30.

I will keep you all posted!

alright its 5:10 over there, shes gotta be home by now. How is miss Molly? Hope shes eating lots!
And remember it never hurts to gring some pellets up with water and force feed her that if youre even remotely worried about how much shes eating!

Latest posts

Back