Moldy Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How does hay get moldy?

How long does it take to get moldy?

How can you tell if hay is moldy and bad?

Is it possible hay I buy from the store be moldy fresh out of the bag or is this unlikely as it should be fresh?

It is very possible to buy moldy hay from a store. It depends on how long it has been sitting in their warehouse or on their shelf.
You can google images for moldy hay to see what it looks like.

I recently had a bale get wet during a wind/rainstorm and it turned moldy -- had to throw it out. First time that ever happened with me. The tarp shredded in the windstorm.

I have bought hay from a local farm store. Rural King and they have extremely dusty hay and I have even found mold in it. This is not just one store but many. We have one in just about every county out here and I have been to all of them and they all have the same type of hay. Never will buy hay from Rural King again. I always go to a local farmer. The way I tell if a bale is good or bad is
1. I look for any black spots
2. I pick some up and if a bunch of dust falls out its a no go.
3. When I pick it up if it's wet I won't buy it.
4. I smell it. Good hay will have a sweet smell to it. If it smells musty I won't buy it.
Always ask what type of hay it is before you buy. Timothy and Timothy mixes are best. Meadow, oat or any other grass-type hay is good too.
Alfalfa should only be fed to babies and nursing does. ( lots of controversy about this) I never fed alfalfa to my rabbits, babies or otherwise. I have heard that it can be hard to switch from Alfalfa to Timothy.
All hay that I have ever bought out of a bag has always been fresh but my rabbits don't really eat it as much as the farm hay. I haven't bought it that many times only when I was completely out and couldn't get to the farm just yet. But it really comes down to rabbit preference. Hope this helps!

Hay gets moldy when it gets damp. That can happen easily if not stored properly. If the bags are stacked against a cold outside wall, moisture will condensate where the bag touches the wall. Hay is a good insulator, so an outside wall will get cold where hay is stacked against it - but the front of the bags are warm from inside -> all hay contains some amount of water, and it will migrate to the cold spots in a bag or container.
Same goes for pellets, never lean a bag of pellets (I buy 50lbs bags, guess how I realised that...) against a wall that is cooler than the ambient temperature.

Bales or lose hay can have that problem too if stacked on a cold floor or against an airtight outside wall. Or if they were made before the hay was dry enough. Any horse grade hay is pretty much ok, here, single spieces hays like Timothy or Orchard are not really available, it's just what grows wild on the meadows, I make most of the hay I need myself.

If hay smells bad, moldy, discoloured in some areas, or even feels damp (you wouldn't notice that in a bag that was stored wrong some time in the past since the moisture will distribute again when the temperture gradient is even throughout the bag) I wouldn't feed it.

When it is moist enough, even if it's just patches, it will spoil within days, when hay gets wet you can consider it gone, if not in a stove or spread out in the sun right away it wouldn't dry fast enough.

Latest posts

Back