Moldy hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daisyandparsley7

Reaction score
I bought a bale of hay about two months ago and I noticed it was super dusty but I didn't realize this was mold spores until now. I feel so guilty for feeding it to them for the past two months! They always ate it all so I really didn't notice a problem until I looked up dusty hay. How is this going to affect them health wise I'm so afraid I've hurt them!

What makes you think it is mold and not regular dusty hay? Is there a white dust cloud when the hay is moved? Does the hay itself have a pale whitish film to it, or are there any black strands? Does the hay smell musty or sour?

When I first bought the bale and split it there was like a spider web mold on one flake in the middle so I threw that away and the few surrounding it. I looked at a video on YouTube and when I did this to the hay it looked like the clouds of mold spores shooting out. The video is below. There is no black strands and to me it just smells like hay and the buns still attack it, but I'm allergic so I can't smell it that well.
http://youtu.be/aYb4fejwSPk

So that sounds bad yes there was one moldy flake but the rest just looked dusty and I read to just throw the moldy flake out.

My hay is dusty as well. If I ever found a moldy flake, I'd just throw the rest away. Hay from a farm is cheap enough. I got my bale for 5 bucks

Just bought a bale of second-cut ($13) and when I broke it open it was full of dust. Never seen hay that doesn't have dust. Had to vacuum the bed of my truck as the broom could not get it all.

Hay can simply be quite dusty in general, I've had super green bales that weren't dusty at all, and then less green bales that were more dusty because they were drier. Obviously mold is also an issue, however if you've been feeding it for as long as you say you have and they're not showing any signs of illness, I'd say it's fine. If you notice black spots on the hay strands, then I would worry.

Latest posts

Back