Mochi won't poop :<

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mochibuns

Reaction score
Mochi is a 3month old lionhead and has been eating well and is very healthy and active. Yesterday she had smaller and lesser poop than usual so i gave her just hay for the rest of the day and cut off on the fresh veggies and small fruits. She has been pooping normally afterwards. But today, it happened again. She even has less poop than yesterday. What can i do to help my baby?

Attachments

• 49641712-C3AF-44AC-89FA-833147BF0FDF.jpeg
    49641712-C3AF-44AC-89FA-833147BF0FDF.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 2
  • D3085870-5646-4E1C-80A7-67122A1C295B.jpeg
    D3085870-5646-4E1C-80A7-67122A1C295B.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 2
Did you check to make sure she was eating her hay really well? She should be eating a pile the size of her body, at least twice a day or more, when you aren't feeding her any other foods. Did the small poops start again after you stopped feeding just hay and started feeding other foods, especially any high sugar/carb foods like fruit, grains, or pellets?

Did you check to make sure she is drinking enough water? If she drinks from a bottle, you have to check to make sure it's working and the valve isn't stuck. A rabbit that can't drink, will also stop eating.

Are her fecal poops normally formed or is there anything irregular about them like their shape(not normal round, maybe oval or other odd shape) or consistency(too wet and moist, not dry and friable)?

https://bunssb.org/bunnies/guide-bunny-poops/

Did you check to make sure she was eating her hay really well? She should be eating a pile the size of her body, at least twice a day or more, when you aren't feeding her any other foods. Did the small poops start again after you stopped feeding just hay and started feeding other foods, especially any high sugar/carb foods like fruit, grains, or pellets?

Did you check to make sure she is drinking enough water? If she drinks from a bottle, you have to check to make sure it's working and the valve isn't stuck. A rabbit that can't drink, will also stop eating.

Are her fecal poops normally formed or is there anything irregular about them like their shape(not normal round, maybe oval or other odd shape) or consistency(too wet and moist, not dry and friable)?

https://bunssb.org/bunnies/guide-bunny-poops/
Hello! I tried giving her a few greens earlier today (lettuce and small amounts of banana), was that one of the factors? Yes she's actually eating her hay well since i've been monitoring her and staying by her side almost all day long. . She's also drinking well from her water bowl (no, she's not drinking from a bottle). Although there's a few poops, i can see that they're normal in shape, just a bit smaller than the usual and fewer too.

Update: I tried massaging her tummy to help stimulate pooping. She's starting to poop more and it's the normal sized ones. Maybe she's just stressed since the weather here is currently changing drastically from too hot to rainy and a bit cold.

Thank you very much!

I would try stopping feeding any fruit. Usually sugary foods are a common culprit in digestive problems with rabbits. They can upset the bacterial balance in the digestive tract. They can also slow down the digestive tract and which results in smaller poop, because being fed too much fruit will cause a rabbit to eat less hay, and less hay means less fiber, when means slower digestive motility. They are getting too many calories from the fruit so don't want to eat as much hay.

If not feeding fruit doesn't work, then it might be your rabbit is sensitive to the lettuce causing stomach upset. So I would try not feeding that next if stopping the banana and other sugary foods doesn't fix the problem.

Latest posts

Back