Mocha is sick

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
naturestee wrote:
Did they have the same problem- little GI movement but no hint of blockages?
With Chippy, I think it was a stress issue. No blockage, but very abnormal poops. She went from large, hard, coarse, green poops...to soft/runny poops...to no poops.....all within the first week we had her. She was about 9 months old when we got her from the pet store.While in the pet store she had 2 litters. We even gave her the same pellets and hay she had be getting in the store. (This was actually the first post I made here when joining the forum.We had already had her treated by the vet when I posted. http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=3880&forum_id=1)

With S'more, the GI problems were started by an infection in her GI tract. Again, there was no blockage. Antibiotics were the key here,although I'm sure the Benebac helped getting the GI flora back to normal.

I seem to remember that Chippy liked Benebac...and S'more definitely did not like it.

~Jim

I recall several very informative posts that Pam put up that told of studies regarding this. Stasis itself, if I understand correctly, is usually bacterial. It's just that blockages get involved and cause complications... I don't know off hand if the blockages cause the bacteria to get worse or if the bacteria causes the slow downs that cause the blockages..

I can't remember all the details without having the info right in front of me.. I'll have to go look for Pam's links and posts. They are veryhelpful when it comes to understanding all of this.

Raspberry

An intestinal slowdown can cause ingested hair and food to lodge anywhere along the GI tract, creating a potential blockage. Also, because the cecum is not emptying quickly enough, harmful bacteria such as Clostridiumspecies (related to the ones that cause botulism and tetanus) can proliferate,their numbers overwhelming those of the normal, beneficial bacteria and fungi in the cecum. Once this overgrowth occurs, gas emitted by the bacteria can cause extreme pain. Some Clostridium species also produce potentially deadly toxins. It is the liver's job to detoxify these poisons, at a high cost to that all-important organ. Damage to the liver can be a serious--even life-threatening--side effect of GI stasis.

With GI stasis, the normal, quiet gurgling of the healthy intestine maybe replaced either by very loud, violent gurgles (gas moving around painfully!) or silence. The bunny may become lethargic, have no appetite and may hunch in a ball, loudly crunching his teeth in pain.

GI Stasis and the "Hairball" Myth

Sometimes, a rabbit suffering from GI stasis is diagnosed as having a"hairball." In reality, an apparent hairball usually is a result of GI stasis--not the cause. A vet who has not palpated many rabbit abdomens may be unfamiliar with the normal, sometimes "doughy" feel of the healthy rabbit stomach. A "doughy" stomach is usually cause for concern only when accompanied by an empty lower GI and symptoms of abdominal discomfort.

Like those of most herbivores, the stomach and intestines of a healthy rabbit are never empty. A rabbit may eat relatively normal amounts of food, almost up to the time the GI tract shuts down. Because of this,the stomach may contain a large bolus of food when stasis occurs.Unlike the typical cat hairball, which usually consists entirely of hair, a mass misidentified as a "hairball" in a rabbit is usually composed mostly of food held together by hair and mucus. Such a bolus,even if it is dehydrated and unable to pass out of the stomach when initially found, usually can be broken down slowly with plenty of oral fluids and even enzyme supplements, if the vet deems them necessary. However, if the mass is there as a result of chronic GI stasis, simply treating the mass without addressing the GI stasis will be unproductive in the long term.

Thanks, Raspberry!

So I went for a nice long walk and what did I find when I came home? Several small, misshapen poos next to Mocha and a small puddle of Mocha-pee on the cage floor- Loki tends to keep it in the litterbox and has a much larger bladder. Not only that, but I offered her some food and she ate it! She was very slow and picky, but she ate some parsley, cilantro, pumpkin, and a few bites of endive. She didn't eat much overall, but it's a start.

I think she just wanted attention, and money spent on her.After all, we spent lots of money on Fey, her sworn nemesis.That means we need to spend money on her, too.

I'm actually wondering if the car ride and all the handling and such helped get her moving, too. She hasn't seemed as uncomfortable since I got her home.

Not only that, but I offered her some food and she ate it! She was very slow and picky, but she ate some parsley, cilantro, pumpkin, and a few bites of endive. She didn't eat much overall, but it's a start.

Sounds like a wonderful start!

:hug:

Awesome news! And I love your vet! :highfive:

The gut slowdown is almost alwaysthe symptom, not the cause.We've had two serious bouts here, one was a bacterialimbalance caused by aself-inflictedoverdose of oats, and the other started when she stoppeddrinkingwater because of a dental issue.No water led to no food which putheron the road to stasis.

I'm never sure whether to give them the sugar inPedialyte and pineapple until the cause is known for sure. Warm water is always the safest bet. That said. it was the Pedialyte and pineapple that really worked in the latter case, she needed that energy, i think it saved her life.

And I think I mentioneda third crisis was caused by eating too many greens after not eating for awhile -- my fault for coaxing her. That was the tummy ache.

Oh, the stress our little furry loves put us through! :hearts:Give her a kiss for those poops!:kiss:

SAS

PS:Thanks for that article, Razz, hadn't seen that one, it explains a lot!

The morning update: Mocha seems completely normal!:shock:

Last night, she was eating, pooping, and playing like normal.She even did a bunny 500 and a half-binky. This morning she's back to leaving the normal amount of poop scattered around her cage. I don't know how she turned around so fast.James is thinking that she ate something that disagreed with her. It does seem odd that bacterial or viral-caused stasis would be fixed so fast. I'm going to keep giving her the Benebac anyway, just in case.

Mocha definitely appreciates me. She was grooming me and looking for more petting then normal.:D

naturestee wrote:
The morning update: Mocha seems completely normal!:shock:
Last night, she was eating, pooping, and playing like normal.She even did a bunny 500 and a half-binky. This morning she's back to leaving the normal amount of poop scattered around her cage. I don't know how she turned around so fast.James is thinking that she ate something that disagreed with her. It does seem odd that bacterial or viral-caused stasis would be fixed so fast. I'm going to keep giving her the Benebac anyway, just in case.
Mocha definitely appreciates me. She was grooming me and looking for more petting then normal.:D

I think itsa diet-related bacterial imbalance, not an infection per se, and she was on a slowdown, but hadn't reached stasis.Had you not acted quickly with the pumpkin andhydration, though, may well have been another story. Way tougher to bringthem out of the slide. (Soshe'd better be appreciating you!).

It was probably the same thing that Pipp got when she broke into the oat drawer, or the tummy-ache she got when she ate too many greens. She bounced back pretty quick, too.

One of the only advantages of both episodes occurring on weekends, I got to sweat it out without spending a fortune on x-rays and blood tests. Really wasn't any fun at the time, though.And she did see the vet in the first instance on Monday when she was doing pretty good. He gave her a shot of baytil,tookmy credit card and the credit. ;)

Give Mocha another kiss for me, and tell her to quit scaring us!:nonono:

SAS :)and PIPP :bunnydance:

PS: Just looking at Razz's post, and it's explained well in there. The bacterial imbalance and GI slowdown leads to the other issues, check it out. You nipped it in the bud!

Very glad to hear that Mocha is feeling better. Good job taking care of your bunny baby!

Raspberry

WOO HOO! wonderful news :) I'm super glad to hear this! Sounds like stasis was settling in, but you noticed quickly and got it taken care of before it got worse! awesome job :highfive:

LuvaBun wrote:
Don't know how I missed this. Glad to hear Mocha is doing better. You sound as if you have a very good vet there. How is she doing today (Mocha, not the vet ;))

Jan

Mocha's back to her trouble making, poop-marking self. She didn't eat all of her pellets last night, but she was eating plenty of hay and was really excited about her vegetables both last night and this morning. What she is not excited about is the Benebac. Nasty stuff- I think we get more on her face than down her throat.

just wanted to say againthat is so good to hear, glad she is back to herself again. I can just imagine how you feel now that she is better again. You must be over run with relief:)

i know when something goes wrong with one of my buns,my whole body feels heavy with worry,and then when they are OK i can just feel the relief wash all over me.

what these buns do to us and only if they knew how crazy they can send us.

Latest posts

Back