Mocha is sick

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturestee

Reaction score
I noticed last night that Mocha was not herself. She hardly moved and was very careful about how she lay down, which was what she spent most of her time doing.She was pooping, but she refused food except for a tiny smidge of oats. She was still like this when I checked on her this morning, but she was more sluggish and no poop- probably because her system was empty.

I syringed some pumpkin, Nutri-cal, and water into her. She did perk up slightly after that. I also noticed that she seemed to be straining in the litterbox. Bladder problems, perhaps? I'm calling my vet as soon as they're open. The emergency vet is an hour away in Milwaukee and not particularly bunny-savvy, so it's not useful for much except stitches and such.

Sounds like stasis. Like her GI tract has stopped moving. Any chance she could be pregnant? I had a doe who was having trouble pushing her kit through the birth canal. I would definitely take her to the vet.

Keep us updated...

Sharon

ooohhh, not Mocha...

please keep us up to date.

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

(all i can add is hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, quoting dana krempels)

Definately not pregnant- she's spayed.I'm doubting stasis though as she was pooping normally last night. Hopefully my vet doesn't have much scheduled for this morning.

SAS wrote:
(all i can add is hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, quoting Dana Krempels)
LOL. That's why I gave her pumpkin and water. I'm not sure if she came down from her shelf for water last night- I'm thinking she didn't.

I just got off the phone with the vet's office- Mocha's going in at 10:30, so in about two hours. I got a little less than a teaspoon of stuff into Mocha, who is about two pounds for size reference. Should I try to get more in her? Or should I wait?

I'd be inclined to give her a little bit of warm water from a syringe, can't think of anything she might have where that would hurt, but I'm no expert.

Is her tummy extended? Does she seem gassy? Any noises?

SAS

Okay, I might try giving her more in a bit. Fey is out right now and that's a bad combination.

Mocha's tummy feels normal. It's not noisy either.I tried gently massaging her last night. It didn't make her uncomfortable, but she didn't want a lot of petting from me so I mainly let her be.

Hopefully its just an old fashioned tummy ache and she's straining to poop because she hasn't eaten enough for a decent bit of output.

If it is her digestive track, then she should be moving around. Of course that wouldn't be a good idea if it was an internal injury or something. Although if that was the case, she'd probably have a hard tummy.

Sotough to tell. They should have bunny MRI'sin every home. "sigh"

SAS

You might try pedialyte or pineapple juice. That helps with the hydration and has other beneficial ingredients as well. If she is still having poos it doesn't sound like stasis- but if they are harder and smaller than usual then that's a sign that something isn't normal. Will she eat her favorite greens or treat? Did she get a hold of anything when she was out? Remember when Sebbie got a hold of the flip-flop??? Have you tried the simethicone drops for gas? Let us know what you find out when you return from the vet.

Raspberry

Thanks Raspberry. I actually ran out and got her some Pedialyte, and just got a little in her. She is somewhat interested in her favorite foods, but won't eat them. When she was pooping last night they looked completely normal.James and I scoured the house looking for something she might have chewed on. She was getting to the baseboard in the bunny room so that's a possibility.

never did ask what her pee ended up looking like (or if she peed at all).

oh well, almost vet time!

the best of luck and good vibes to little mochaandangela!

SAS

Hey guys, I just got back! I was wrong, Mocha IS in stasis. An x-ray showed essentially nothing in her stomach, cecum, and intestines except for fluids. Her bladder was normal. My vet thinks it's bacterial, so he prescribed Benebac, which is a probiotic. I asked about gut motility drugs, but he prefers to use them as a last resort.He said that you have to be really careful with them- he must have seen bad reactions. I was told to bring her back in if she hasn't shown improvement within three days, and he gave me instructions on how much pellet slurry to give her and how much water. He said that she was well hydrated, so no Pedialyte, just normal water.

Mocha hates Benebac with a passion!

The good news is, she hates it so much that she ate a pellet and a tiny bit of hay.:bunnydance: She also left a small cecal. I just checked on her, and it looks like she ate a little cilantro and parsley.

Thanks for the update!!

At least you know what you're dealing with now. We used Benebac with good results for both Chippy and S'more during their bouts with GI issues.

Continuing prayers and good thoughts!! Keep us updated....pleeeeeeeze;)

~Jim

Thanks, Jim, it's good to know that. I hadn't really heard of using probiotics for stasis, so I was a little worried. Did they have the same problem- little GI movement but no hint of blockages?

Latest posts

Back