Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vet (if your conserEd about bugs)

But,
The picture of the bug, does not look like a traditional irritating, rabbit bug.

Your rabbit is young she might be going through her baby molt, when they shed their baby fur and grow their adult fur,

In shedding rabbits tend to get itchy, and your rabbits baby coat will look slightly different from her adult fur.

When you do get your brush, be gentle, I’ve read reviews saying it scratched their rabbits skin, (but all in all it’s a Great brush)

During molting you will need to brush your rabbit, (for your current situation you can wet your hand and go through her fur, the lose fur will cling to your hand, then (when you get it) use the brush you ordered.

Rabbit shed a LOT,

this is how much I plucked out of my bun, and that was ONLY the dewlap area!
View attachment 50623
Because of the itching, today she let me brush her all day and she was okay with it. But the fur that came out is less than half of yours

That’s ok, I spent an hour getting that much fur out!!

I’ll attach a rabbit shedding picture, one sec

D969B1DC-F312-4358-B3F2-08CF4E89FF85.png5A2BC8E9-90A8-421C-BF3E-934AFE0AF4A8.png82BBD169-0448-4BCA-9043-5BFCEABEB431.png
All shedding examples (their coat will look kind of weird when they shed πŸ™ƒ)

Last edited:
That’s ok, I spent an hour getting that much fur out!!

I’ll attach a rabbit shedding picture, one sec
Thank you very much, i put her in the cage an hour ago and she suddenly stopped scratching and shaking. I will observe her till tomorrow to see if she needs a vet or not

Vet (if your conserEd about bugs)

But,
The picture of the bug, does not look like a traditional irritating, rabbit bug.

Your rabbit is young she might be going through her baby molt, when they shed their baby fur and grow their adult fur,

In shedding rabbits tend to get itchy, and your rabbits baby coat will look slightly different from her adult fur.

When you do get your brush, be gentle, I’ve read reviews saying it scratched their rabbits skin, (but all in all it’s a Great brush)

During molting you will need to brush your rabbit, (for your current situation you can wet your hand and go through her fur, the lose fur will cling to your hand, then (when you get it) use the brush you ordered.

Rabbit shed a LOT,

this is how much I plucked out of my bun, and that was ONLY the dewlap area!
View attachment 50623
I’m sorry I ask alot and i get worried over everything, but i have a question, i read somewhere that when bunnies shed they shed from their bodies but not their head is that true?because the fur in her body is the same and I’m brushing her everyday and the fur that comes out is in very small amounts. But her face.. there is no bald spots but the fur is less than before. On her ears and around, above her eye and on the back of her head. When i pet her i can kind of see her skin like the pictures I posted before in this thread. There is no flaking or anything. Is that normal?is it a part of the shedding process?

Yes, they definitely shed the fur on their head. I've plucked fur off my rabbits forehead, cheeks, and behind their necks when they are molting.

My bunny is doing the same and I’m starting to get concerned. Just constant itching and head shaking, ears look fine, no mites, eating and sleeping fine :( I’ve been putting a little oil in his ears to comfort him but he’s starting to lose fur around the ears too :(

My bunny is doing the same and I’m starting to get concerned. Just constant itching and head shaking, ears look fine, no mites, eating and sleeping fine :( I’ve been putting a little oil in his ears to comfort him but he’s starting to lose fur around the ears too :(

Fur loss around the ears, especially the base of the ears, from excessive scratching even though there are no visible external signs of mites in the ears, can still mean possible ear mites deep in the ear canal. But it can also indicate a possible ear infection or inner ear infection. In which case I would suggest having your rabbit checked by an experienced rabbit vet. It's also a good idea for the vet to do a dental exam if the excessive ear scratching is from a suspected ear infection, as inner ear infections can sometimes be linked to a tooth root infection that has spread.
Medirabbit (ear infection in rabbits)
MediRabbit (ear mites in rabbits)

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Don't put anything in bunny ears unless advised by a rabbit vet. Find a good rabbit vet here: Rabbit Friendly Vet List

Has your rabbit ever been treated for mites, and if so what was used to treat it?

Are you seeing any flaking skin, any crusty skin or lesions? Any debris, visible wax build up, crusting, or lesions in the ears?
MediRabbit (ear mites in rabbits)
MediRabbit (fur mites in rabbits)
MediRabbit (mange mites in rabbits)
MediRabbit (fleas in rabbits)
Is this it or is this from the hay?

Attachments

• C1BFF7CE-14A5-427B-850B-55CF740DB900.jpeg
    C1BFF7CE-14A5-427B-850B-55CF740DB900.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 7
Yes, they definitely shed the fur on their head. I've plucked fur off my rabbits forehead, cheeks, and behind their necks when they are molting.
Can you show me what head fur shedding looks like please? This is what her head looks like now

Attachments

• 03B359C4-6FDC-49A5-AAFD-DB3EFD5FEB54.png
    03B359C4-6FDC-49A5-AAFD-DB3EFD5FEB54.png
    459.4 KB · Views: 4
i think every bun is different. Last year my youngest bun (she was a little over a year old then) developed two perfect circles on her face. The fur was shed in a circle shape, one around her right eye and the other in the middle of her forehead. I thought for sure it was ringworm; so, I took her to the vet. They did a culture for ring worm and a fungus but all came back negative. My vet told me that molting comes in all forms depending on the rabbit.
This year when she molted there was nothing noticeable on her face. My Rex female always gets like a worry wrinkle down her forehead when she molts and I notice lots of little furs sticking out on her cheeks.
So, it could be nothing. As I said all rabbits molt differently and they can even molt differently from year to year as mine did. I even had a rabbit many years ago that almost went completely bald during her fall molt, that really freaked me out and I took her to vet only to find it was normal.
I wouldn't be too discouraged. If in doubt I would take your rabbit to the vet. They can do cultures and give you peace of mind.

i think every bun is different. Last year my youngest bun (she was a little over a year old then) developed two perfect circles on her face. The fur was shed in a circle shape, one around her right eye and the other in the middle of her forehead. I thought for sure it was ringworm; so, I took her to the vet. They did a culture for ring worm and a fungus but all came back negative. My vet told me that molting comes in all forms depending on the rabbit.
This year when she molted there was nothing noticeable on her face. My Rex female always gets like a worry wrinkle down her forehead when she molts and I notice lots of little furs sticking out on her cheeks.
So, it could be nothing. As I said all rabbits molt differently and they can even molt differently from year to year as mine did. I even had a rabbit many years ago that almost went completely bald during her fall molt, that really freaked me out and I took her to vet only to find it was normal.
I wouldn't be too discouraged. If in doubt I would take your rabbit to the vet. They can do cultures and give you peace of mind.
Does it look like the spot on the picture?because the spot is getting bigger and the fur on her neck is getting thinner, but it’s not loose and it doesn’t come out in chunks

Latest posts

Back