Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
Guys how can mites or any other insects get to the rabbit? because i don't have any other pets in my house and i never touch other pets. she went to 3 different vets four times in the past 3 weeks and also she got her fur trimmed two weeks ago. last vet visit was on Sunday and she was okay till today. today she started scratching alot. she is a lionhead and her fur is long so i couldn't see if there is something. I used a lint roller and i saw something, I’m not sure if it’s from the hay or if its a bug. Also someone said that the scratching could be allergy, I’ve been feeding her strawberry and banana.

Attachments

• 7497A77E-5AE6-4B6B-9957-087FB6619B3A.png
    7497A77E-5AE6-4B6B-9957-087FB6619B3A.png
    393.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 2
I just found this on the floor, I don’t know what it is or where did it come from but its the size of the ones that you would find with rice.

Has your rabbit ever been treated for mites, and if so what was used to treat it?

Are you seeing any flaking skin, any crusty skin or lesions? Any debris, visible wax build up, crusting, or lesions in the ears?
MediRabbit (ear mites in rabbits)
MediRabbit (fur mites in rabbits)
MediRabbit (mange mites in rabbits)
MediRabbit (fleas in rabbits)

Has your rabbit ever been treated for mites, and if so what was used to treat it?

Are you seeing any flaking skin, any crusty skin or lesions? Any debris, visible wax build up, crusting, or lesions in the ears?
MediRabbit (ear mites in rabbits)
MediRabbit (fur mites in rabbits)
MediRabbit (mange mites in rabbits)
MediRabbit (fleas in rabbits)
No I’ve only had her for three weeks and this is the first time I’m seeing this. She doesn’t have any thing from what I can see. And her ears are clean. I noticed that I can kind of see her skin on her neck area but I don’t see any thing else and her skin looks clean and okay. Can you tell what kind of bug is on the picture that I posted?

I don't know what bug it is, but it's not one that causes skin problems in rabbits.

Are you sure she's not just scratching like would be natural? All rabbits will occasionally scratch and itch, just like we do. Usually if a rabbit is scratching excessively, there's a very noticeable difference and you would also start seeing signs of skin irritation and fur loss.

I don't know what bug it is, but it's not one that causes skin problems in rabbits.

Are you sure she's not just scratching like would be natural? All rabbits will occasionally scratch and itch, just like we do. Usually if a rabbit is scratching excessively, there's a very noticeable difference and you would also start seeing signs of skin irritation and fur loss.
She always scratch but today it’s excessive! I can see that her fur is not the same in her neck, under her ear, and close to her eye

Attachments

• A9EFEEE9-B063-4700-B495-6452798EEC33.jpeg
    A9EFEEE9-B063-4700-B495-6452798EEC33.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 98391366-C164-4115-8B75-666767FF8D92.jpeg
    98391366-C164-4115-8B75-666767FF8D92.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 5
Vet (if your conserEd about bugs)

But,
The picture of the bug, does not look like a traditional irritating, rabbit bug.

Your rabbit is young she might be going through her baby molt, when they shed their baby fur and grow their adult fur,

In shedding rabbits tend to get itchy, and your rabbits baby coat will look slightly different from her adult fur.

When you do get your brush, be gentle, I’ve read reviews saying it scratched their rabbits skin, (but all in all it’s a Great brush)

During molting you will need to brush your rabbit, (for your current situation you can wet your hand and go through her fur, the lose fur will cling to your hand, then (when you get it) use the brush you ordered.

Rabbit shed a LOT,

this is how much I plucked out of my bun, and that was ONLY the dewlap area!
image.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back