Mites

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meganc731

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm concerned that I may have brought a new critter into the house thathas mites. It hasn't been near the rabbits, but I'm still reallyworried. I know that at some point in time the use of Frontline typeproducts were discussed and there was a product that was deemed safe.Does anyone know for sure what product it was? Also the color of therabbit had something to do with it, but it was over my head. Inanycase, I have a white - red eyed german angora rabbit, and a browneyed cream colored with brown trim - jersey wooley.

If I decide I need to contact the vet to get something for mites, Iwant to be prepared so I know what to accept. I'm just beside myselfright now.

Thanks,
Megan

Ack!! Frontline is NOTrecommended for rabbits at all! There have been warningsissued about that stuff!

Most vets will recommend an injection of Ivermectin (not the topical solution).

Just about every product can cause a reaction in some bunnies, there'salways going to be one in 1000 who are sensitive.

:blushanSorry, I didn't have time tolook it up. I'll have to check again, as I know there areseveral spot-on-the-neck treatments that are safe. I was justreading about them in the 4th edition of the House Rabbit Handbook, butthey were referring to them by ingredient, not brand name.

Thanks so much for the replies. From what I readof the articles that you posted, it looked like Advantage was ok forrabbits, but that was for the treatment of fleas. Iver-somethinginjections still look like the safest way to treat mites. Does the vethave to give the 3 injections or do you do it yourself at home?

Thanks,
Megan

Latest posts

Back