Mites

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emikuu

Reaction score
F3279A11-50C3-4892-82F2-360F6AEDB849.jpegI’m pretty sure my rabbit has mites and is there a holistic way to rid of them?I am not at liberty to bring her to the vet yet and I want to help her.

Attachments

• 368851D8-516D-401E-8A94-BA2A978C4327.jpeg
    368851D8-516D-401E-8A94-BA2A978C4327.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 7
  • FF81511C-4DA0-48E7-BC8B-7AD452BC24E4.jpeg
    FF81511C-4DA0-48E7-BC8B-7AD452BC24E4.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 7
It looks like walking dandruff to me, aka mites.
Walking Dandruff in Rabbits
Here's a article to make sure your rabbit really does have mites;
Rabbits Matter - Rabbit Mites
The best way to treat mites is Revolution cat treatment (one pack of the medicine is the treatment for a rabbit) or oral Ivermectin (small pea size of apple flavored horse dewormer). Ivermectin is cheaper.

View attachment 59543I’m pretty sure my rabbit has mites and is there a holistic way to rid of them?I am not at liberty to bring her to the vet yet and I want to help her.
Looks like mites to me! I'd recommend Ivermectin. I've treated my bunnies with that before, and never had a single trouble. Here's an Amazon link to what I use.
https://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Iverm...=1646793505&sprefix=ivermectin,aps,158&sr=8-8Good luck! They should clear up about a week after the Ivermectin.

Looks like mites to me! I'd recommend Ivermectin. I've treated my bunnies with that before, and never had a single trouble. Here's an Amazon link to what I use.
https://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Iverm...=1646793505&sprefix=ivermectin,aps,158&sr=8-8Good luck! They should clear up about a week after the Ivermectin.

The best way to treat mites is Revolution cat treatment (one pack of the medicine is the treatment for a rabbit) or oral Ivermectin (small pea size of apple flavored horse dewormer). Ivermectin is cheaper.

Please do NOT try and use or recommend to others to use, equine ivermectin paste to treat any rabbit. It's potentially dangerous and could result in an overdose, which could cause permanent neurological and organ damage, or could be fatal. It's probably the main cause of ivermectin toxicity in rabbits, as the paste is intended for 250-1250 lb animals, not small rabbits. And there is no cure or reversal drug if an overdose does occur.

Revolution(selamectin, rx) is the safest recommended treatment for rabbits with mites. Ivermectin can be used in the correct form(NOT the horse paste) for accurate dosing, but there is more of a chance of it causing a reaction in sensitive rabbits(BEW, dutch rabbits, vienna marked/carriers, etc), than with using the Revolution. And all this is best done through your knowledgeable rabbit vet to ensure the correct dose is calculated and given. There are not really any rabbit safe holistic fur mite treatments that I'm aware of.

Medirabbit: ivermectin toxicity

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Mites
Medirabbit: fur mites

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

It's potentially dangerous and could result in an overdose, which could cause permanent neurological and organ damage, or could be fatal.
Thank you for this @JBun! I had a friend who self medicated their bunny with ivermectin (powdered version, given orally as well). Unfortunately, her bunny got permanent headtilt 'cause of it :(

some may not get any side effects from giving this orally, but it doesn't mean it will be the same for all.

Please do NOT try and use or recommend to others to use, equine ivermectin paste to treat any rabbit. It's potentially dangerous and could result in an overdose, which could cause permanent neurological and organ damage, or could be fatal. It's probably the main cause of ivermectin toxicity in rabbits, as the paste is intended for 250-1250 lb animals, not small rabbits. And there is no cure or reversal drug if an overdose does occur.

Revolution(selamectin, rx) is the safest recommended treatment for rabbits with mites. Ivermectin can be used in the correct form(NOT the horse paste) for accurate dosing, but there is more of a chance of it causing a reaction in sensitive rabbits(BEW, dutch rabbits, vienna marked/carriers, etc), than with using the Revolution. And all this is best done through your knowledgeable rabbit vet to ensure the correct dose is calculated and given. There are not really any rabbit safe holistic fur mite treatments that I'm aware of.

Medirabbit: ivermectin toxicity

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Mites
Medirabbit: fur mites

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
I wouldn’t want to do that to her as she is still a baby but would diatomaceous earth powder help it said it’s natural powder and not toxic?

I wouldn’t want to do that to her as she is still a baby but would diatomaceous earth powder help it said it’s natural powder and not toxic?
I've heard of that, not sure how effective it is. But from what I know, the food grade one is whats safe for them :)

Diatomaceous earth if breathed in, as is likely to happen while a rabbit grooms if it's applied to a rabbits fur, could cause lung damage. I've also had a vet talk about damage that it can cause to the digestive track from ingestion, which can also occur from a rabbit grooming it off it's fur. So no, diatomaceous earth is not something I would use or recommend.

Okay I just started treating her with it and I haven’t been finding scabs on her anymore so its probably relieving her itching I’ll update in a couple weeks to see how it’s gonna fully work on her.

Diatomaceous earth if breathed in, as is likely to happen while a rabbit grooms if it's applied to a rabbits fur, could cause lung damage. I've also had a vet talk about damage that it can cause to the digestive track from ingestion, which can also occur from a rabbit grooming it off it's fur. So no, diatomaceous earth is not something I would use or recommend.
Well then I guess I won’t be using it anymore yikes..The food grade one isn’t even safe?They say you can put it in animal feed so I don’t understand that it can cause lung damage…maybe the pool and garden grade yes but food grade too?Wow

Latest posts

Back