Mites or fleas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizzaunicorn

Reaction score
What are these in my buns fur? I only just got him and worried it’s mites or fleas? There’s so much all in his fur everywhere and have seen the odd one move but they’re so small i can’t work it out. Have treated him with ivermectin but it doesn’t seem to have worked? I honestly can’t afford to go to the vets right now but just asking here first.

Attachments

• E3CD03F1-5AA6-45E1-B15E-EE331159CF36.jpeg
    E3CD03F1-5AA6-45E1-B15E-EE331159CF36.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 13
  • CE50924A-E55B-4C82-B9CC-9B9CD3F7E98C.jpeg
    CE50924A-E55B-4C82-B9CC-9B9CD3F7E98C.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 12
It looks like fleas to me. The cheapest and easiest home treatment is cat flea treatment (Revolution or Advantage for a "small cat") you will need to look up the proper amount to give your rabbit's size.

I thought fleas were much bigger for some reason. Honestly they’re like dots!! Okay thank you, i’ve just treated with ivermectin so how long should I leave it before treating with revolution?

Fleas will cause 'flea dirt' and will be quite visible and easy to see crawling around in the fur. Mites are tiny and usually not visible, or barely, and there will be dandruff or 'walking' dandruff. If it looks more like dandruff and you can't see, or can barely see, something crawling around in there, it's likely mites. To me, it looks like it's possibly mites.

Ivermectin is one of the usual treatments for mites in rabbits, at the correct dose(though some rabbits can be dangerously sensitive to ivermectin), and done for the correct amount of treatments(usually 2-3, 2 weeks apart). Xeno 450 is available OTC in the UK I believe. If you tried that already, the most effective treatment for both mites and fleas with rabbits(in my opinion), is with Revolution/Stronghold(selamectin) at the recommended dose of 18mg/kg. It's rx here in the US, but may be OTC in the UK. If it is otc, that's what I would use. If the revolution doesn't clear it up or your rabbits condition deteriorates(or you have any concerns), something else may be going on with your rabbit and I would suggest getting your rabbit checked by a knowledgeable rabbit vet right away.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Mites
Medirabbit: fur mites

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Fleas
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

I couldn’t see any dandruff but i noticed two tiny bites on his ears. I honestly have only seen a few move but there so so small i can’t even figure out the shape of the bug. I have treated with beaphar ivermectin but it doesn’t seem to have done much? A lot of it doesn’t move either so may be dirt, i can’t seem to get it out even with a mite comb!! It’s such a nightmare and is making me sad, i just want him to be clear!! Your so helpful thank you for that. I will try revolution if I can find it. Thank you so much, this is another close up I got.

Attachments

• EA8F477C-D074-45C8-B78A-98D105E00F01.png
    EA8F477C-D074-45C8-B78A-98D105E00F01.png
    446.3 KB · Views: 5
I would wait at least a week, before treating with the Revolution/Stronghold. If you just applied the ivermectin, it could take a day to take effect. If it's been more than a day, I can't think why the ivermectin didn't work, unless the application dose was off for some reason, but even then it should have worked to some extent. If it's not actually mites, that may be why. If so, the revolution/stronghold should normally take care of most ectoparasites.

Yes, Ivermectin is usually very fast working (in my experience), maybe the medication just isn't effecting the fleas for some reason.
I agree that you should wait a few days to apply the flea treatment, but also, be looking around your house from any thing that could be a flea, because it sucks when your apartment/house gets an infestation.

Yes, Ivermectin is usually very fast working (in my experience), maybe the medication just isn't effecting the fleas for some reason.
I agree that you should wait a few days to apply the flea treatment, but also, be looking around your house from any thing that could be a flea, because it sucks when your apartment/house gets an infestation.

Ivermectin isn't going to be an effective treatment against fleas. It may initially help a little, but won't ultimately get rid of the fleas It's used primarily as a mite treatment. Revolution(selamectin) or Original Advantage are the recommended treatments for fleas on rabbits.

Our vet had us try Bravecto for cats (smaller dose) with our two bunnies. No fleas for three months and no apparent bad effects.

Latest posts

Back