Mite cream lvermecitin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh

Reaction score
So my bun tux picked up some parasites on his skin I have his medicine in cream form and a cone of shame but I noticed that the cone of shame makes him miserable and depressed ive taken the cone off for now but hes trying to groom himself non stop should I let him is the medicine harmfull if he grooms it ?
hes using the extreme formula too
Is there another way that doesn't involve the cone?

I've never heard of applying a cream for mites on rabbits. Is this a cream to put on the skin or a topical spot on application that you can apply at the nape of the neck? How exactly are you applying it on your bun? What is this medicine exactly, what's the ivermectin concentration in it, and how are you supposed to dose it accurately?

Cones are usually not a good idea for rabbits unless absolutely necessary. Usually they are only used in instances of surgery when the rabbit won't leave the incision site alone. Whether or not you will need to continue to use it depends on what this cream is that you are using.

I've never heard of applying a cream for mites on rabbits. Is this a cream to put on the skin or a topical spot on application that you can apply at the nape of the neck? How exactly are you applying it on your bun? What is this medicine exactly, what's the ivermectin concentration in it, and how are you supposed to dose it accurately?

Cones are usually not a good idea for rabbits unless absolutely necessary. Usually they are only used in instances of surgery when the rabbit won't leave the incision site alone. Whether or not you will need to continue to use it depends on what this cream is that you are using.

Well the reason im using this cream is because no one had the medicine they usually use on rabbits this one is for dogs cats and rabbits oddly specific... But it contains 4mg of ivermectin
And 1g of. Exipient or gel
And it goes on the skin

So where are you applying it exactly? The ears?

Is the 4mg per gram of cream/gel? How much did the vet say to apply on your rabbit and how much does your bun weigh? I'm just concerned about the correct dosing as creams are not the usual application.

Does it list the inactive ingredients as well and if so what are they?

So where are you applying it exactly? The ears?

Is the 4mg per gram of cream/gel? How much did the vet say to apply on your rabbit and how much does your bun weigh? I'm just concerned about the correct dosing as creams are not the usual application.

Does it list the inactive ingredients as well and if so what are they?

The vet said place a small amount on the skin of the affected area (his back) once every 7 days for 10 days or less depending on how his fur looks then to wash the area to make sure any lingering eggs are removed he weighs around 8 pounds the cream doesn't list any inactive ingredients
And im thinking it is 4mg per gram
Because it doesnt list anything else

The problem is that your vet doesn't understand the proper application of ivermectin or how it works, and doesn't understand rabbits. Which I don't quite understand since you are in the US right. So your vet should have some understanding of how ivermectin is used and should be able to get a hold of the right kind.

Dosage is important. Too high of a dose of ivermectin will cause overdose symptoms, too low won't get rid of the mites and can lead to resistance. For your vet to just have you apply a 'small amount' is not an accurate way of dosing, so you don't really know if the proper amount is being applied.

Next is your vets dosing frequency. Ivermectin should be applied or given for 2-3 treatments 10-14 days apart, to get the next round of eggs as they hatch and before they mature. So that also means you would not be washing your rabbit to 'get rid of the eggs', which is frankly a ridiculous thing for any vet to be suggesting, as first it won't get rid of the eggs unless using a specific shampoo(which in most cases you shouldn't be using on rabbits as it may not be safe), and second you shouldn't be bathing a rabbit at all unless an absolute necessity, which this isn't the correct circumstance.

Then there's applying a cream to a rabbits skin is messy and a pain in the butt, which no experienced rabbit vet would suggest for this kind of situation. I would never want to apply a cream unless first I knew it was safe if my rabbit groomed any of it off, and if there was only bald skin to apply it to with little or no fur in the way.

Because it doesn't list the inactive ingredients, there's no way of knowing if it's safe for him to lick it off. If you've already applied the cream and it's to your rabbits back near the nape of the neck, your bun shouldn't be able to reach back there to groom it off. Which would mean that it would be safe to not use the cone. If it's lower down and your bun can get to it, you may have to use the cone and monitor your bun closely. Or I would consider wiping it all off as much as possible and starting treatment over in a week, but putting the cream at the nape of the neck where it can't be groomed off.

Cones are difficult to use with rabbits because it can make them depressed and cause reduced eating, which can then lead to gi stasis setting in. So the rabbit has to be closely monitored to make sure it's eating and drinking well throughout the day and night, and it also needs to be able to get to it's cecotropes to ingest them, which a cone makes difficult.

But you also have to consider if your bun is getting the correct dose. The dose of ivermectin for rabbits is 0.4mg per kg of body weight. If there is 4mg per gram of the cream you are using(which needs to be verified), then that would mean there is 0.4mg per 100mg of cream. For a 3.6kg rabbit, that's 360mg of cream applied to get the 0.4mg/kg dose. I suppose you could just apply the 'small amount' that the vet suggested and hope it's the correct dose to get rid of the mites.

Another option is if you can get a hold of injectable ivermectin or get some from your vet, I would be inclined to start treatment over using that. What that would entail is cleaning off the cream as much as is possible, wait a week in case any was absorbed, then I would measure out the correct dose of injectable ivermetin but give it orally with an oral 1cc syringe. A 3.6kg rabbit would need 1,4mg of ivermectin. The injectable solution here in the US is 10mg per ml(1% solution, which needs to be verified), or 1mg of ivermectin per 0.1(one tenth) of solution, which would be 0.14ml dose. It's basically just a drop or two. The other option is if you can get Revolution/Stronghold(selamectin). That is a topical application to the nape of the neck that only has to be applied once at a dose of 18mg/kg. So these are just things I would consider doing if I wasn't comfortable using or trying the cream. But you do have to be comfortable measuring out doses as an overdose of ivermectin is dangerous.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm
http://medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/earmite/Psoroptes.htm (for selamectin dosing)

If you are going to stick with the cream, I would apply the cream to the nape of the neck where rabbits can't reach back to clean it off, in 10-14 days, then again for a third treatment another 10-14 days after that, for a total of 3 treatments. With no bathing of the rabbit. If your rabbit is getting the correct dose of ivermectin then this should clear up the mites entirely.

I'm not a vet, but these are just things I would consider and might try in a similar circumstance.

The problem is that your vet doesn't understand the proper application of ivermectin or how it works, and doesn't understand rabbits. Which I don't quite understand since you are in the US right. So your vet should have some understanding of how ivermectin is used and should be able to get a hold of the right kind.

Dosage is important. Too high of a dose of ivermectin will cause overdose symptoms, too low won't get rid of the mites and can lead to resistance. For your vet to just have you apply a 'small amount' is not an accurate way of dosing, so you don't really know if the proper amount is being applied.

Next is your vets dosing frequency. Ivermectin should be applied or given for 2-3 treatments 10-14 days apart, to get the next round of eggs as they hatch and before they mature. So that also means you would not be washing your rabbit to 'get rid of the eggs', which is frankly a ridiculous thing for any vet to be suggesting, as first it won't get rid of the eggs unless using a specific shampoo(which in most cases you shouldn't be using on rabbits as it may not be safe), and second you shouldn't be bathing a rabbit at all unless an absolute necessity, which this isn't the correct circumstance.

Then there's applying a cream to a rabbits skin is messy and a pain in the butt, which no experienced rabbit vet would suggest for this kind of situation. I would never want to apply a cream unless first I knew it was safe if my rabbit groomed any of it off, and if there was only bald skin to apply it to with little or no fur in the way.

Because it doesn't list the inactive ingredients, there's no way of knowing if it's safe for him to lick it off. If you've already applied the cream and it's to your rabbits back near the nape of the neck, your bun shouldn't be able to reach back there to groom it off. Which would mean that it would be safe to not use the cone. If it's lower down and your bun can get to it, you may have to use the cone and monitor your bun closely. Or I would consider wiping it all off as much as possible and starting treatment over in a week, but putting the cream at the nape of the neck where it can't be groomed off.

Cones are difficult to use with rabbits because it can make them depressed and cause reduced eating, which can then lead to gi stasis setting in. So the rabbit has to be closely monitored to make sure it's eating and drinking well throughout the day and night, and it also needs to be able to get to it's cecotropes to ingest them, which a cone makes difficult.

But you also have to consider if your bun is getting the correct dose. The dose of ivermectin for rabbits is 0.4mg per kg of body weight. If there is 4mg per gram of the cream you are using(which needs to be verified), then that would mean there is 0.4mg per 100mg of cream. For a 3.6kg rabbit, that's 360mg of cream applied to get the 0.4mg/kg dose. I suppose you could just apply the 'small amount' that the vet suggested and hope it's the correct dose to get rid of the mites.

Another option is if you can get a hold of injectable ivermectin or get some from your vet, I would be inclined to start treatment over using that. What that would entail is cleaning off the cream as much as is possible, wait a week in case any was absorbed, then I would measure out the correct dose of injectable ivermetin but give it orally with an oral 1cc syringe. A 3.6kg rabbit would need 1,4mg of ivermectin. The injectable solution here in the US is 10mg per ml(1% solution, which needs to be verified), or 1mg of ivermectin per 0.1(one tenth) of solution, which would be 0.14ml dose. It's basically just a drop or two. The other option is if you can get Revolution/Stronghold(selamectin). That is a topical application to the nape of the neck that only has to be applied once at a dose of 18mg/kg. So these are just things I would consider doing if I wasn't comfortable using or trying the cream. But you do have to be comfortable measuring out doses as an overdose of ivermectin is dangerous.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm
http://medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/earmite/Psoroptes.htm (for selamectin dosing)

If you are going to stick with the cream, I would apply the cream to the nape of the neck where rabbits can't reach back to clean it off, in 10-14 days, then again for a third treatment another 10-14 days after that, for a total of 3 treatments. With no bathing of the rabbit. If your rabbit is getting the correct dose of ivermectin then this should clear up the mites entirely.

I'm not a vet, but these are just things I would consider and might try in a similar circumstance.

Ok noted this really is troublesome for me because it seems the vets in my area are not good (even the one listed for my area on the vet list)
And perhaps ill look into getting revolution instead but I'll leave this dose since I seem to have caught this early and perhaps if im lucky is enough and well the cream does specifically list rabbits the only reason I have the cream is because 4 out of the 4 vets i went to did not have the usual medication and only 1 of the 4 had the cream at this point maybe I should go to school to become a veteranerian specifically for rabbits
And as to the cone he is getting depressed and is having a really hard time eating his cecotropes that have ended up being smushed all over the cone so I will only impiment the cone when I can't watch him

You're not alone. Finding a decent rabbit vet is difficult in most parts of the country and world. And even ones listed as good aren't always. It's a huge frustration of mine when trying to direct other rabbit owners to a knowledgeable rabbit vet for help.

If you find the cream isn't clearing it up, you can get the revolution online, but you will need the online company to contact your vet for authorization. Or if you can find a local vet clinic that carries it and have your vet contact them so you can pick it up.

You're not alone. Finding a decent rabbit vet is difficult in most parts of the country and world. And even ones listed as good aren't always. It's a huge frustration of mine when trying to direct other rabbit owners to a knowledgeable rabbit vet for help.

If you find the cream isn't clearing it up, you can get the revolution online, but you will need the online company to contact your vet for authorization. Or if you can find a local vet clinic that carries it and have your vet contact them so you can pick it

It seems to be clearing up but it also seems like its migrating to the top of his head and lower back I'll contact my vet to see if I can have them order the revolution

I agree with jbun I’ve never heard of this cream and your vet seems to be giving some dodgy advice!
And I get your frustration with Vets having poor rabbit knowledge - as a vet Student I can confirm that they are barely mentioned on the curriculum, and in the UK at least, there are efforts being made to change that. Rabbits are such a common pet now that it is unacceptable for them to be considered “exotics”.
Please keep us updated on your bun, and if you can take a photo of the packaging of the cream you are using that would be really interesting.

I agree with jbun I’ve never heard of this cream and your vet seems to be giving some dodgy advice!
And I get your frustration with Vets having poor rabbit knowledge - as a vet Student I can confirm that they are barely mentioned on the curriculum, and in the UK at least, there are efforts being made to change that. Rabbits are such a common pet now that it is unacceptable for them to be considered “exotics”.
Please keep us updated on your bun, and if you can take a photo of the packaging of the cream you are using that would be really interesting.

He seems to be doing better I take the cone off but monitor him closely for a few hours that seems to help him not be depressed but hes a bit frustrated that I dont let him groom and scratch as he pleases
Heres the medicine as well though the label is in spanish due to vet 4 being from the other side of the border

Attachments

• 1532887908812-272607180.jpg
    1532887908812-272607180.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 4
Interesting, I’ve never seen that before, but I wouldn’t choose to use it personally, when there are great spot on products and injectable alternatives.
Keep up with what you’re doing, even though it is frustrating For both of you!

Interesting, I’ve never seen that before, but I wouldn’t choose to use it personally, when there are great spot on products and injectable alternatives.
Keep up with what you’re doing, even though it is frustrating For both of you!

Yeah ive been looking into other options and am trying to find a way to get my hands on revolution if this dose doesnt clear him up

Latest posts

Back