Missing hair on one of my boys.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadinee_.xo

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m nee here and I’m in abit of a pickle with my two boys. I’ve noticed that one of the boys (Ronnie) has become a lot more dominate recently to the point where he is constantly on top of my other boy (Reggie) without any breaks. I’ve also noticed fur on their hutch floor which has been taken off reggies shoulders. I don’t know what to do? Should I separate them or what that cause more problems? These are boys my boys & they are blood brothers. But Ronnie (Ginger one) is a lot bigger and a lot more dominant.

Attachments

• 84DAF18B-CC74-4091-A9FD-2A435065F66B.jpeg
    84DAF18B-CC74-4091-A9FD-2A435065F66B.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1
  • B337CA6F-DF8D-47D8-A62F-C118FC7D9C07.jpeg
    B337CA6F-DF8D-47D8-A62F-C118FC7D9C07.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 1
How old are they and are they neutered? Rabbits do not acknowledge family units the way humans do, so being brothers does not guarantee they can get along automatically.

If there is any risk of a fight, yes you should separate them immediately for their safety.

They are 4 nearly 5 months and no one is being neutered on Thursday though.
It sounds like this is hormonal then and so yes, you should separate them immediately. Regardless of how they got along in the past and that they are brothers, hormones play a huge role in driving rabbit behavior and often interferes with being able to peacefully co-habitate with another rabbit. Neutering will help, but it is not the "magic fix". I recommend you go through some formal bonding steps to make sure things proceed in a safe way, rather than going too fast and risking a fight/injuries. This means, following the neuter and recovery time, introducing them to each other in a neutral space and seeing how they get along and then slowly transitioning to less-neutral space if there are positive signs.

I’m only getting one done at the moment as he is the most hormonal one and “the boss” as people might say. So I don’t think my other will do anything to him just because he’s the dominant one

I haven't personally experienced this (no situation where I could), but I have read from other users that the presence of an unfixed rabbit can still stir up hormonal behaviors in a fixed rabbit, so be aware that neutering one may not solve hormone-mediated obstacles in bonding.

I know that it might not solve it but I need a resolution for now until I can manage to get them both done, healed and happy to get along again. I really don’t want to separate them but I also don’t want to give one up :(

They will also survive being separated. They were not bonded to begin with, so as long as you're present to attend to them, they won't be lonely nor depressed about not being able to interact with each other.

Latest posts

Back