Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blossposs

Reaction score
I have a 3 year old indoor Holland lol rabbit who I noticed recently is balding and reddened irritation right above the tail with dandruff and patchy hair where I suppose it’s trying to grow back in. It’s not a large area, and he doesn’t have it anywhere else on his body. I’m currently in nursing school and if at all possible, would like to avoide seeing a vet as his vet is located quite far away from where I live and it’s not yet time for his yearly appointment. I assume this is nothing life threatening and some people who’s rabbits have this condition wind up being mites. We also have a few dogs and cats that live indoors but they never go anywhere near the rabbit and he typically is inside most of the time and doesn’t go outside often. What should my course of action be in tackling this situation? Is it more than likely mites and if so, should I bathe him and do the recommended diy treatment of medication safe for rabbits ordered offline? I can provide pictures if needed.

Sounds like it could be dandruff mites, cheyletiella. Can be easily treated by a topical spot on treatment of ivermectin or selamectin, which you don’t always need a prescription for (dependent on where you live). Don’t bathe him as it will stress him out and isn’t strictly necessary. The treatment won’t hurt if he doesn’t have mites, and if he does it should clear it up well. Keep brushing him to remove the dead skin and excess fur moult. If the skin is really sore you will need to see a vet to check there isn’t any infection needing antibiotics etc. And even if he does get better without seeing the vet, inform the vet of this and the treatment you gave when you go for his next check up - it will be useful for the vet to add this to their notes.

Sounds like it could be dandruff mites, cheyletiella. Can be easily treated by a topical spot on treatment of ivermectin or selamectin, which you don’t always need a prescription for (dependent on where you live). Don’t bathe him as it will stress him out and isn’t strictly necessary. The treatment won’t hurt if he doesn’t have mites, and if he does it should clear it up well. Keep brushing him to remove the dead skin and excess fur moult. If the skin is really sore you will need to see a vet to check there isn’t any infection needing antibiotics etc. And even if he does get better without seeing the vet, inform the vet of this and the treatment you gave when you go for his next check up - it will be useful for the vet to add this to their notes.
Thank you!

Latest posts

Back