Misshapen and small rabbit poops?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyLouie

Reaction score
Hey, guys my rabbit produced some weird pooos today. I’m concerned and I feel like I should be. He was doing great until today where once we brought him in and I noticed he was producing cecotropes today and I feel like a lot maybe but most of the time he was just bathing down there so that could explain it. I just noticed a lot of munching would he would reach down there. Anyways, bought him new litter and refreshed his grass.. he ate hay, he drank water and ate his veggies. He’s been sleeping all day I think hes been acting pretty normal for the most part. He was running around in the morning too.. just his poops are weird so can someone help out? This is the first day he’s been producing these.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 4
Looks like poop with fur in it. Normal to see when a rabbit is going through a shed. If you see strings of poop together or just generally a lot with fur, that's a sign you should try and groom your rabbit more often to reduce fur intake.
Ok! I’ll buy a comb for him!

@BinkyLouie -- you are extremely thoughtful to be concerned about your bun's output.

- Lots of healthy poo makes every bun parent happy! Medirabbit site can be accessed often.

I am fostering a captured stray who was likely an Easter bunny "dump" - and fecals tested positive for hookworm and pinworm eggs. She's getting treatment to eliminate parasites before her spay. Likely picked up from prior environment or eating ground and grasses while abandoned.

You and your boy, take care.

@BinkyLouie -- you are extremely thoughtful to be concerned about your bun's output.

- Lots of healthy poo makes every bun parent happy! Medirabbit site can be accessed often.

I am fostering a captured stray who was likely an Easter bunny "dump" - and fecals tested positive for hookworm and pinworm eggs. She's getting treatment to eliminate parasites before her spay. Likely picked up from prior environment or eating ground and grasses while abandoned.

You and your boy, take care.
I had that concern a few days ago. That he had pinworms but turns it was nothing to be worried about. Although.. he seems to still be producing small poops /: Pretty much everyday or every other day it seems and im not sure whether I should be worried now or not? Should I just make an appointment with a vet? My parents don’t like to take animals to vets unless it’s something serious serious and I’ve read about rabbit poop and everything. I know small rabbit poop is something to be worried about because it can indicate something wrong in his stomach like a blockage, gi stasis (which I doubt he has because he eats, poops, drinks and binkies. He also responds to his treats when I shake the bag or when I call him for veggies. He also loves to groom me) or something else I forgot what its called. Anyways, point is he always pooped normal before but since my parents and sisters LOVE to feed him when I’m off cleaning his home or cleaning his litter box they sneak him in some cherries, strawberries, blue berries and other fruits. That’s actually when the small poops started and from then on they’ve left and came left and came. The fruits make him not want to be in his litter box too. Thankfully, he has a second litter box in his home so he can actually have hay if he doesn’t get any when he’s inside... Im not sure what to do but could you guys let know if this a serious matter and if I should consider taking him to the vet. Thank you.
Edit: He poops small poops and normal poops. Usually poops just maybe like a few small poops but I just don’t like see those poops because it makes me worried and think something is truly wrong. He’s also been reaching down there a lot lately and now I’m wondering whether he’s producing too many cecotropes aswell. He always goes down there and comes back munching on something. Sometimes it’s just him bathing though.

I’m gonna attach some photos of his poop throughout the night and then one of today:
I’m just glad his poops aren’t dark. Atleast I know he’s eating enough hay.. I break them up and it’s green inside and I can see the broken down fibers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 3
If he's producing too many cecotropes, he wouldn't eat them and would just leave them on the ground. If you're not seeing those, it's not really a concern.

Rather than being concerned over a handful of poops, it is usually best to think of the recent poop trends/patterns, especially if they coincide with something that might be concerning, like lack of energy or knowingly consuming something toxic. If there's occasional small poop, but normal poops are most abundant and your rabbit is not showing signs of being distressed in other ways, it is probably OK.

If he's producing too many cecotropes, he wouldn't eat them and would just leave them on the ground. If you're not seeing those, it's not really a concern.

Rather than being concerned over a handful of poops, it is usually best to think of the recent poop trends/patterns, especially if they coincide with something that might be concerning, like lack of energy or knowingly consuming something toxic. If there's occasional small poop, but normal poops are most abundant and your rabbit is not showing signs of being distressed in other ways, it is probably OK.
That’s a relief. Yeah, he was actyally not pooping for a while today and I was gonna make a call for the vet but then I texted my sister and we were discussing and she said to just wait a bit and I fed him some dandelion leaves and then made sure he was drinking and eating hay. He’s doing fine now

That’s a relief. Yeah, he was actyally not pooping for a while today and I was gonna make a call for the vet but then I texted my sister and we were discussing and she said to just wait a bit and I fed him some dandelion leaves and then made sure he was drinking and eating hay. He’s doing fine now
Rabbits poop a lot, but they aren't constantly pooping. Especially at times when they're usually asleep. There will be hours during the day where your rabbit will not poop at all, and that's normal.

Rabbits poop a lot, but they aren't constantly pooping. Especially at times when they're usually asleep. There will be hours during the day where your rabbit will not poop at all, and that's normal.
Ahh okay. It’s just he used to eat hay a lot and he would be a little more active and I got worried when he wasn’t. Plus the small poops over there days just worried me more. I shouldn’t be too concerned then right? If he’s eating fine. I’ve decided to exclude his treats and pellets for about a week though. I want him to eat more hay so his digestive system can be a better. I want him to be healthy. He’ll be eating his two cup of veggies and hay all day. Is that fine?

He should be eating a pile of hay the size of his body per day. If not, then this probably is because you're feeding too many treats and other foods. This will also account for there being smaller poop.

I would cut out sugary and high carb treats. You don't necessarily need to exclude pellets. If you're feeding too many pellets, just reduce the amount. How much do you feed now per day, once or twice a day, how much does your rabbit weigh, and how old is your rabbit? If you exclude pellets then when you start feeding them again it will have to start gradually as pellets shouldn't be reintroduced into the diet suddenly.

He should be eating a pile of hay the size of his body per day. If not, then this probably is because you're feeding too many treats and other foods. This will also account for there being smaller poop.

I would cut out sugary and high carb treats. You don't necessarily need to exclude pellets. If you're feeding too many pellets, just reduce the amount. How much do you feed now per day, once or twice a day, how much does your rabbit weigh, and how old is your rabbit? If you exclude pellets then when you start feeding them again it will have to start gradually as pellets shouldn't be reintroduced into the diet suddenly.
I see. I usually feed him 1/4 of a cup daily. I just didn’t feed him any today because I was so worried. He weighs 5-7 pounds or a bit more. He’s 5 months a week or two. He’s starting to eat more hay now I mean more than he did yesterday when he was inside. I’ll see what happens tmr. How many pellets should I feed him then? I’ve decided to just stop giving him treats. He usually gets 1 per day but I’m gonna wait and see if he gets better. He did good today so I’m happier. More reassured. I’m also planning to buy him some Timothy hay pellets but I’m not sure if these are fine since it says for adult rabbits. Someone recommended sherwood pellets but I think they’re expensive but I’ll check it out again right now.

Attachments

• 5B37D949-F9DF-44E3-B18B-5D474F9AA080.png
    5B37D949-F9DF-44E3-B18B-5D474F9AA080.png
    377.4 KB · Views: 0
I took a look at Sherwood and it’s 20 dollars for 4.5 pounds. Kind of expensive but I’ll ask my sister about it. If I can’t buy these would the ones from oxbow be okay?
Edit: Theyre around the same price but Sherwood seems like the better version.

I would start with just stopping the treats and see if that makes a difference. If he's still not eating enough hay, then maybe slightly decrease pellets to 1/8 cup a day. But decreasing pellets, you do need to monitor to make sure he is actually eating more hay and stays a healthy weight. If he doesn't eat more hay even after reducing pellets, this can mean there is a health problem causing the lack of hay eating, or somethings wrong with the hay.

At 5 months, your rabbit is pretty much considered an adult now and can be transitioned off of juvenile pellets and onto timothy adult pellets. Oxbow or sherwood are both fine choices, with sherwood being a bit better quality. What pellets are you feeding now?

I would start with just stopping the treats and see if that makes a difference. If he's still not eating enough hay, then maybe slightly decrease pellets to 1/8 cup a day. But decreasing pellets, you do need to monitor to make sure he is actually eating more hay and stays a healthy weight. If he doesn't eat more hay even after reducing pellets, this can mean there is a health problem causing the lack of hay eating, or somethings wrong with the hay.

At 5 months, your rabbit is pretty much considered an adult now and can be transitioned off of juvenile pellets and onto timothy adult pellets. Oxbow or sherwood are both fine choices, with sherwood being a bit better quality. What pellets are you feeding now?
He’s been eating alfalfa pellets. I feel like that may be the problem. I was going to initially let it run out so then I could buy the Timothy hay pellets but I feel like I should just start the Timothy pellets process now. I just have to ask my sister if she could order the pellets. With the price of the pellets I’ll have to see if she wants to buy those. I’ll feed him the pellets in the afternoon. Also once he starts to eat the hay more can I go back to giving him the 1/4 of a cup or it has to stay that way?

I found this brand too. Is this okay too? Also would it be okay to stop feeding pellets for like just a few days until the new pellets come in? Or should I continue feeding him the alfalfa ones just at a smaller portion. I would probably get the pellets in like 1-3 days max.

Attachments

• 5A9CDF83-59C5-4DE5-8804-0D9E23DBAF18.png
    5A9CDF83-59C5-4DE5-8804-0D9E23DBAF18.png
    408.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
That brand's good too. I would just continue to feed the pellets and reduce the amount. As long as the alfalfa pellets aren't causing any other issues, there's no reason you can't just use them up if they're a good quality brand of pellet. I would just continue to feed them until you have about a weeks left. Then already having the adult timothy pellet to switch to, gradually change from the alfalfa to the timothy pellet over a couple of weeks.

https://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/blog/how-to-transition-your-pets-food/
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/pellet-food.html
I would stay at the amount of pellets that keeps him eating enough hay. If he only eats enough with pellets reduced to 1/8 cup, then I would stick with that amount. And monitor body condition to make sure he stays at a healthy weight.

https://www.pfma.org.uk/_assets/docs/pet-size-o-meter/pet-size-o-meter-rabbit.pdf

I have 13 week old Holland Lops. They frequently don't eat their cecotropes. Is this normal? They have abundant hay and high quality pellets. Their normal poos look good, it's just that they have many uneaten ceco thingys all over the place. Will they get better at eating them as they get older?

Latest posts

Back