miss or not to miss the potty, that is the question ... ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lokin4AReason

R.I.P Little man ....
Reaction score
ok ok, I have been doing this for some time now ... I have been washing and cleaning ( as in vinegar and soap afterwards ) in cleaning their cage AND I still get some serious wee on the side or in the middle of the cage ( not pointing fingers but I think its borderline charile aka see at why he got his name =0X ) ....

the question is, how can I make them ( or the individual ) to use the potty w/o out them missing ... ?

I clean the potty pan every 2 day(s) for the two of them and leaving some poop dropping(s) to get that sense that this is the place to poop and wee ... ? or should it be cleaned everyday ... ?

need help ... ?

By "missing" do you mean they pee right next to their litterbox AKA hang their butts over the edge or are they peeing deliberately away from it? My Snickers will pee over the side because he likes to back as farrrrrr as he can into the corner before peeing. I solved this problem by getting a tall storage tote that he can still jump into without being able to hang his butt over. I'll get a picture soon if this is your problem :)

Snickers temporarily had litterbox issues because he likes hay in his litterbox and refuses to use it if there's none there. Have you got some soft material in the litterbox or hay?

Are your bunnies in a cage when they have this problem? I also got a litterbox that is 28 in long (as wide as his cage is) so that he can pee/poop in either corner without causing a problem. It limits the space a little but it'd be worse if he peed outside it and then hopped through it, but he still has plenty of space.

Also if you can, soak a paper towel in their urine and put that in the bottom of the pan when you clean it, that might help! I use a cleaner that is 2 parts water to 1 part cleaning grade vinegar. I scrub down the bottom of the cage and I let the pan soak a little in it so that it has chance to soak up all that urine smell.

^^^^ What they said about if your bunny is sticking their butt over the edge! I've also gotten cat litter boxes with a urine guard, or the deep XL cat litter boxes are my favorite!
If you meant that your bunny doesn't want to use the litter box, the way I boxed trained mind quickly was I put them in a smaller cage and whenever they peed or pooped outside the box I would wipe up the pee and put the tissue in the litterbox, and sweep up the poop and put it in there. After doing that twice a day for about a week- two weeks they got the hang of it.

Latest posts

Back