Mischevious madam

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

My sister has acquired a female frenchie shes just over 3 months now. She was a little darling at first, but shes turning into quite the madam!

Firstly, we both understand that shes coming of age, and the behaviours are natural. She will be getting fixed as soon as shes ready but until then, some advice or tips on how to manage these behaviours would be great!

She will box and scratch at your hands when giving treats (my sister is trying her best to bond with her but when food is introduced she turns into a bunny monster).

She will also grunt when giving treats, and run away and hide to eat it.

70 percent of the day, she will follow and run by your feet because she thinks she will be getting food soon.

She will occasionally nip again normally when you're around the fridge.

When giving her food or water she will run into the bowl I'm guessing from excitement and everything goes all over the place (lol)

It's so strange because other times she will fall asleep while you stroke her etc.....

But my sister is struggling with being able to manage her behaviours currently so any advice welcome

I had a rabbit that went bonkers for food or treats. The best you can do -- especially now that she's hormonal -- is to distract her when putting down food or water bowls or when offering any treats. You don't want her to think she is being rewarded for her current behavior. Right now she's learning that her aggression is always rewarded with yummies. (That isn't your intent, of course, but in the bunny's eyes, her behavior happens to always be followed by something to eat.)

Distracting her may mean putting food down in the cage when she's out roaming, or even holding a thick piece of cardboard (large enough) in one hand to keep her from seeing and accessing the other hand that is putting down the food or treat. In fact, I would stop using treats as way to bond with her right now because it is turning counter-productive. Just do all the normal bonding tricks minus the treats.

Once she's spayed, she may settle down considerably.

Latest posts

Back