Mischa is looking for a new home.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugarbunnies

Reaction score
Due to financial circumstances, I can't keep Mischa. I am not sure if a rehoming fee is allowed here ($30), so if it isn't, please message me and I will remove it. Her breed is still unknown and she is still young (about 5-6 months, or more). She is very rambunctious and requires absolute bunny-proofing. If you want to do a meet and greet with your other buns, that is fine with me. I am in Oceanside.

I am so sorry to hear this :(. I do have to say it though...are you aware the effects on rabbits to break up a bond? They take the loss of a mate very hard. It can even effect their health. Are you sure you want to split them up?

Yes, I'm aware of what might happen. I'm ashamed to say this, but Mischa keeps getting into things that I can't afford to replace. I have done everything possible for her to not get into things (pens, blockage, grids). She can jump ridiculously high. I Just do not know what to do. It is exhausting to come home and see that she has gotten into everything while I was at work.

And it also worries me because if she gets into a spot she can't get out of to get access to her food and water while I am at work, then that would be bad. I don't want to break the bond between them, but I am at my wit's end.

I used posterboard around the top of my 48'' playpen to stop Nala from climbing out of it

Please do not break up your bonded pair. Its cruel to take them away from each other and could be life threatening.If your going to rehome her then please rehome them both. They need each other! Otherwise find a way to keep the girl.

I am still going through financial hardship, but have been able to still support my buns through it all. Luckily veggies are cheap through Walmart (58c for Parsley, etc). But hay is the expensive one. Even though I go through a feed store, for 3 bags of hay it's still $20 (they put hay from bales into the bags). I'm thinking of forsaking litter (even though it's only $8 for 35LB... it's an $8 I don't have :-() ... I scooped up a huge pile of free newspapers from the grocery store and hoping that this will be adequate enough to soak up urine... Any suggestions on homemade litter?

My buns are free-range, also, so I still haven't found a way of keeping Mischa off of the bed short of buying a higher pen to put around the bed (I put the pen around the bed so they don't go underneath it), so Mischa -loves- to wake me up by jumping on the bed. lol >.<

There is a link somewhere that I don't feel like looking for, BUT you can make your own carefresh! If Imbrium comes into this post, she can give you the link she's the one who posted the link before.
Anyways, what you do is get paper, like computer paper, brown paper bags things like that. I don't think you should use the newspaper ads that are shiny because they have weird chemicals in them.
To make it you:
Shred all the paper up into strips.
Soak all the strips in warm water and tear into little bits while its soaking.
Mush all the paper together into a big ball and remove from the water. Squeeze as much water out of the ball as possible.
Put it on a paper towel and break the ball up. I would roll the paper towel up to squeeze more water out. Then put it on a new paper towel to dry for a few days.
When its dry, put it in the cage!

You'll have to make A LOT at a time. But its the same thing as the carefresh. I would start collecting paper, any paper you have that you don't need collect it and use it to make the carefresh.

I totally understand what it is to be broke and worry about how you're going to take care of your animals. Its hard, but I wouldn't break up their bond. Like everyone said, its really really hard on the rabbits and sometimes they get so depressed they can't come back from it. So if you're going to rehome one of them, then you should rehome both of them. Its a terrible thing to be faced with. But I think I would rather have no rabbits and know they got a good home together, than have a seriously depressed rabbit. I'm sad you don't live closer to me, because I could help out with hay, stupid geography.

If you have a paper shredder, you could shred the newspaper to make it more like litter. And maybe keep your eye out on Craigslist and your local paper for someone giving away a dog crate. Then you could confine her when you aren't home, to help with the destruction part.

Keeping them together but confined in a smaller area would be better than separating them. Do you have NIC grids and/or x-pen that can be used to create an escape-proof enclosure? Maybe if you take stock of what you have on hand (even if you are currently using it as barricades) we can help come up with an enclosure of sorts.

If that's a possibility, then they can just be let out when you are able to supervise.

She is doing less troublemaking so we're okay. The problem now is that she has been jumping on my face-- LITERALLY jumping on my face -- while I am sleeping. I have not had a decent night's sleep for the past few weeks. I might have to start caging her at night (she can jump over the pen)....

are you SURE she's jumping over the pen, or is she climbing it? if it's climbing, poster board around the top of the pen will stop her. if she's jumping and you have some spare NIC grids, you could add them to the top of the pen to make it 14'' higher.

Sounds like she's trying to get your attention :) You may want to just ignore her when she does it and try and go back to sleep, or she'll think that's what she needs to do to wake you up and get whatever it is she wants. When you say she can jump out of her pen, how high is her pen, and have you actually seen her jump right over, or does she jump and then climb the rest of the way out?

Latest posts

Back