minor head tilt is back

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

Apollo’s Slave

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2019
Messages
1,817
Reaction score
1,992
Location
London, England
hey everyone

in an inconvenient fashion, it seems two of three of my pets have decided now is the time to feel unwell. Apollo had signs of a head tilt for the first time after Athena passed away in January. After almost five? six? months, it has decided to make a reappearance. My phone is broken, so I don't have a picture, but it's the same as before so I'll link the other thread.

He can hold his head up normally, but while resting, it's a little droopy.

Should I go back to the Panacur? Or will it need something else

 

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 10, 2012
Messages
10,600
Reaction score
5,979
Location
Utah, , USA
Did the vet do any tests, check the ears, or do a dental exam last time you brought him in to have this checked? And did you end up doing the 28 days of Panacur or only the 9?
 

Apollo’s Slave

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2019
Messages
1,817
Reaction score
1,992
Location
London, England
They did a full general check-up, his ears were checked and so were his front teeth, but I don't know about the others. I believe we did maybe 14 days of it. He stopped showing symptoms after day 7, so I just assumed it was safe to stop. Probably a misjudgement on my part
 

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 10, 2012
Messages
10,600
Reaction score
5,979
Location
Utah, , USA
I would get back with your vet today, on how to proceed next. It's possible that the head tilt is due to e. cuniculi and another full round of Panacur is needed. You should also be giving meloxicam, twice daily during this time, as the anti inflammatory properties are necessary to reduce harmful inflammation. But head tilt can also be caused by an inner ear infection, sometimes spread from a tooth root infection. So the vet will need to check the ears and do a dental exam, and you may even need head xrays done.

You'll want treatment started right away to get this under control and prevent any more cellular damage occurring. Usually initial treatment will be an antibiotic like baytril, panacur, and meloxicam, to cover both possible causes of EC and ear infection, until one or the other can be ruled out.



Medirabbit: ear infection clinical signs and treatment
 

Apollo’s Slave

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2019
Messages
1,817
Reaction score
1,992
Location
London, England
Thank you. I'll email the vet tomorrow, we spent the whole day there today since one of our dogs decided to eat a sock so i could've bought it up 🤦‍♀️

Do you know the average cost to cover X-rays, EC, and/or ear infections? I know all vets vary, but just a general guide would be helpful
Bailey (the dog) has given us a nice, expensive vet bill to enjoy after he decided he wanted to explore his love for socks, so it might be a little hard to pay for Apollo too, though hopefully, his insurance will help.
 

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 10, 2012
Messages
10,600
Reaction score
5,979
Location
Utah, , USA
It depends on your individual vet and what they charge, how many diagnostics are done, and what meds are prescribed. It could be several hundred pounds.

If the insurance doesn't cover a lot of it and you can't afford to have the testing/xrays done right now, if the vet doesn't find any sign of infection in the ear canal or the mouth after a visual exam, you may want to at least request to have your rabbit put on all 3 of those meds just to cover both possible causes. Or you could phone the vet and ask if they want you to bring Apollo in or if you should just start the Panacur again, but of course it would be better to bring him in to be examined. I personally would want all 3 meds going, but you should at least get him on the panacur again.
 

Apollo’s Slave

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2019
Messages
1,817
Reaction score
1,992
Location
London, England
Thank you so much. I've started him on Panacur yesterday, and we'll go for 28 days. But, I think i'll get him in for an appointment and we'll see how it goes from there :)
 

Apollo’s Slave

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2019
Messages
1,817
Reaction score
1,992
Location
London, England
He’s been checked by the vet, and they said that they still couldn’t see a head tilt, and that we should do a 28 day course of panacur. They said that they could do blood work and X-rays, but they should be okay to treat it without unless it gets worse. They looked in his ears, and couldn’t see anything unusual. we opted not to get testing done, as they said that it might not be necessary and he’s also holding his head up like normal even when resting, with the occasional head tilt maybe once or twice a day. Some days there isn’t one. We have another check up next week so that they can monitor him too :)
 

Latest posts

Top